NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best CCD Camera

Pickwick

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member and for a little back ground I am Based on the English South Coast and have been a keem Astronomer frpm the Age of 10 now many years later in the new Digital Age I am looking to upgrade my old CCD Camera.

I have a new StarlightXpress Filter Wheel with 1.25 filters RGBL and a Loadstar X2 guider.

There are a perplexing choice of CCD cameras so I am asking you for your opinions on those on The Market.

Both SXP and Apogee are based in The UK which helps if anything goes wrong as there no international Borders to Cross and no Currency Exchanges to consider. I am looking for a Mono Camera rather than Colour.

Frame tranfer cameras will require software to correct pixel bleeding wheras interline CCD mostly have anti blooming gates.

I am tempted to buy The Atla 4000 camera an interline CCD but the problem is their Threads are:-

Alta D2 Camera, - Female 2" -    24 tpi
Alta D7 Camera, - Female 2.5" - 20 tpi
The QSI cameras are quite popular as are SBIG
Or Do you think a new SXP Triuis H9 would be best

Please let me know about your camears and your views

It comes down to things like pixel size to match your focal length, the degree of cooling you need (no need to super-cool Sony chips or even Kodak ones in the UK), reliability per pound spent (hard to beat Atik on that one), size of chip (Kodak give lots of real estate per pound) etc etc.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

Hi Pickwick and welcome to SGL, I think you would be far better off re posting you question into the Imaging help and techniques section, where there will be a bigger following able to, no doubt, comment on what you have in mind with regard to the choice of imaging cameras :)

Both SXP and Apogee are based in The UK which helps if anything goes wrong as there no international Borders to Cross and no Currency Exchanges to consider.

Atik also, and it's cheaper. Apogee makes rather more advanced/specialized cameras. Any shop within EU is good as there are not duties as there are no "borders" :) QSI is more expensive and less popular. SBIG was popular, but now in Europe local competitors took most of their market (not many shops in EU offering Sbigs).

If you have a look here http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php this will give you an idea of how each scope and camera combo will work -  a really good tool to help you decide on a chip size anyway!

Then there's the make - Speaking only from experience here, I have only used Atiks and QSI. The QSI blows the Atik out of the water for build quality and superior cooling. Certainly something that I want over here in Spain. The QSI can come in an all in one package, but as you've already got the filter wheel, you'll not be using that feature.

I suppose that once you've made your chip decision, then it's down to manufacturers. 

Archived