Explore scientific 82 degree argon purged eyepiece vs Celestron Xcel

Astrodob

I haven't had experience of the Xcel but have had with the ES 82 degree.

The ES eyepiece performs extremely well in all my dobs (I have the 6mm) and is my favourite among the meagre collection of eyepieces I have. Clarity wise, as good as my TeleVue Plossls, but with the extra FOV. The light transmission is also excellent, which can also be a factor with such great magnification. Excellent on planets, too, especially on a still night.

They are both good EP's but I think they are, IMHO, in different niches to each other.  (not too fair a comparison maybe!)

If you take cost and FOV out of the equation because there is a clear difference in the two, you should maybe consider other things like eye relief, are you wearing glasses to view or can you view with out..?  The ES82 range, I believe, has quite tight eye relief and therefore might not necessary be suited to your needs..

It might be better to tell us what you would like to use the EP for in terms of viewing objects, what your budgets are, what your observing requirements are in terms of wearing glasses or not...

I bought an ES82 degree 11mm eyepiece for £89 brand new from an Ebay seller in the USA.

So the price difference was only £30 6-months ago when you add postage onto the Celestron.

It looks like the ES prices in the USA have risen since then.

Eyepiece, postage, import duty = £109 for the 4.7mm http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Explore-Scientific-1-25-4-7mm-82-degree-ARGON-Waterproof-Eyepiece-/390906436212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b03d6da74#ht_2128wt_1162

And the same for the 6.7mm

You can buy direct from Germany for a similar price plus 10-euro postage.

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Eyepieces/

I by-passed the BST's and Celestrons, and went straight onto the 68-degree Maxvisions, 82-degree Explore Scientific, then the 6mm Delos.

You should go for the ES if the price is right.

Apart from the almost useless rubber eyecup, you won't find anything wrong with them.

I recently only had enough money for the x-cel eyepieces,but i have found a part time job which i have a few days ago finished and got enough money to buy an eyepiece for under 130£.I have got a bit more money,but i think i should save it for something else like university or something so my budget is 130£. I want to observe planets with the eyepiece and probably some deep-sky objects.So should i go for the ES 82 degree 6.7mm or the 7mm celestron X-cel OR SOMETHING ELSE U WOULD RECOMMEND.

.............i have found a prat time job ......................

I have had a few of those in the past.

For me, 60 degrees would be a regret when I wanted a wider view.

Your choices are:

1x 16mm Maxvision 68o, plus a very good barlow.

1x 6.7m ES 82o, and blow your budget.

Personally, I would blow your budget on the 6.7mm ES now, and enjoy the view.

You will need all the optical quality you can get if 6.7mm is near the limits of your scope.

Thats why I have the 6mm Delos.

In the words of L'Oreal, because it's worth it.

Budget options are Celestron X-cels, and the BST starguiders.

You can get two different sizes of BST's or Celestrons for your money.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Skys-the-Limit-Astro-and-Optical/BST-Starguider-ED-/_i.html?_fsub=2568750014&_sid=53377064&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I think I'll go with the ES 82 degree because I'll have a magnification of 189x (the maximum usefull magnification on my scope is 500x) I'll use a 2x GSO(which i own with a maxvision 68 degree 16mm eyepiece) barlow to get it up to 379x at that magnification I will need a big field of view and a sharp image so I'll go with the ES 82 degree 6.7mm eyepiece.I have a meade lightbridge 10 " do u think it's a good choice?

ExSc eyepieces are very reasonalbe from Teleskop Service in Germany starting at 129 euros I believe for the 4.7mm, which I believe is just over 100 quid, you could always have them ship equipment to you which i know a few on site have in the past.

365 Astronomy have started to sell the ES82deg products... competitively too.. should give some people food for thought with their pricing..

http://www.365astronomy.com/explore-scientific-82°-n2-eyepiece-67mm-125-p-3862.html

£96.00 (not sure if that includes shipping) is a very good price... might get one myself!

They have come down a lot in price to

what they were.Did not realise they were

this cheap.

Steve

365 Astronomy have started to sell the ES82deg products... competitively too.. should give some people food for thought with their pricing..

http://www.365astronomy.com/explore-scientific-82°-n2-eyepiece-67mm-125-p-3862.html

£96.00 (not sure if that includes shipping) is a very good price... might get one myself!

Nice spot. Looks like Zoltan is stocking the 82 deg range. The 30 mm is priced at £199, which is very competitive and is a peach of an eyepiece!

Nice spot. Looks like Zoltan is stocking the 82 deg range. The 30 mm is priced at £199, which is very competitive and is a peach of an eyepiece!

Not half... I'm torn between the 24 and 30 mm and the price ,which was a excluding factor recently everywhere else, is seriously pulling at my heart strings.

I think I'll go with the ES 82 degree because I'll have a magnification of 189x (the maximum usefull magnification on my scope is 500x) I'll use a 2x GSO(which i own with a maxvision 68 degree 16mm eyepiece) barlow to get it up to 379x at that magnification I will need a big field of view and a sharp image so I'll go with the ES 82 degree 6.7mm eyepiece.I have a meade lightbridge 10 " do u think it's a good choice?

Don't put too much faith in 'maximum useful magnification' figures. 1x aperture in mm is more likely to be the realistic maximum unless you are somewhere high and very dry. I use a 7mm EP quite a lot myself so the ES would be a useful focal length.

A  widefield like a 24mm ES 82 and then a Baader Classic ortho 10mm would be a useful combo for you,with the barlow/10mm you would get in the 250x range which may be a good planetary/lunar mag in your scope,it is in mine.

If the eyerelief is okay, this would be a great combo. 10mm and 5mm equivalent with great sharpness and light throughput. Good for planets, planetary nebulae and galaxies.

Having had similar focal length Dobs/newts and given that the MV16mm Barlows really well down to 8mm, I'd actually suggest you have a look at the ES82 11mm.

Not only will this Barlow to give you 230x magnification (which is only useable occasionally) you will have an 11mm EP (115x) that is more useful than you might imagine on a wider range of subjects than just planets, works really well at F5 and sit's nicely between the 80x & 160x of the MV16/Barlow combination.

It's always tempting to push to higher powers, but less versatile than you might imagine. Fortunately, I got this urge out of my way with BST Explorers when they cost £39 - The 5mm was used about four times, whilst the 12mm practically lived in the scope. It turns out sharper is useful more often than larger and the ES82 11mm is certainly sharp.

Russell

Nope don't have enough money for the 11mm ES 82.I'll get the 6,7mm ES so if i dont barlow it i get 189x which is ok and the barlow I have it has a special feature where u can unscrew the bottom bit so it's a 1,5x barlow not a 2x barlow therefore i get a magnification of 284x which most people say is used quite a lot in a 10" scope and i think I'll be ok.If u really think that 289x is too much please tell me,but only if it really is that bad.My budget is 130 at maximum i said i don't have anymore.Astronomy is idiotically expensive ure paying that much for damn glass in a metal body which is really overpriced if u think about it though that's how it is ahhwell.. Most sites say for viewing planets in avarage seeing most people use magnifications of 200-300x.

For viewing planets in my 10" I can use 171x almost always, most of the time 240x is optimum, more rarely I use 300x, and just very occasionally 342x. This is with a well colimated telescope and Pentax eyepieces, so they are near the top of the quality scale.

Archived