Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milky Way last night

It was surprisingly clear last night, so I thought I'd try the 12mm. LP is bad in the village from unshielded fluorescent street lights. Getting better at gradient removal with graduated filter in LR. That and a good cropping and, well not great...but a fun evening.--Jack

post-37593-0-24734100-1408252791_thumb.j

Great image! Could I be cheeky, and ask how many subs you took, how long each one was and at what ISO, as I wouldn't mind having a go at this myself... Also - did you have it mounted on an EQ ? Sorry for all the boring questions, it's just that I'm a bit of a newbie to AP and am keen to learn :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Adrian, that's ok.  ...So it was 20x10second subs @f/5 , iso 800. I used a Tokina 12-28mm zoom @12mm on a Nikon D5100 and a cheap Chinese tripod with a 10k weight hung from it in a grocery bag. I also calibrated with 25 darks. Camera control via Backyardnikon using FWHM for focusing. Processing in LR and PS.

Thanks for the info. Makes a change to not see a big long list of expensive kit needed for this great result. It also beats the long set up and take down time of a scope and EQ mount . Guess what I'm gonna be doing the next time we have a clear sky here? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Bryan, yes it's just amazing. I know there's better coming when rain season ends. I started early in the year (April?) and had a night I could see colors in the Milky way with naked eye. If I was a more knowledgeable observer I could probably spot some rare stuff. Working on it. One benefit of automated imaging sessions is just to sit there and stare at the wonder overhead while the software captures it.. Clear Skies!--Jack

Archived