NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First webcam attempt

Stu

This is my first attempt at a webcam solar image. Not particularly happy with the outcome but it is a start.

It was taken using an SPC900 in my Herschel Wedge, with Continuum filter and TV85. Captured using Sharpcap 2 and feebly processed in Registax 6.

The seeing was not great as it was early evening. I guess a barlow would give me better scale and resolution in the active region?

8u8e8aju.jpg

Please rip to shreds constructively ;-)

Stu

Edit: Changed the image to one that does not have to download, hopefully!

Edit again: Well that looks rubbish now! Will sort in the morning :-)

Decent enough starter sir ...  :laugh:

You'll find a UV/IR Block pretty much essential to really start popping fine detail as the Continuum leaks IR .

( And if you save your final result as a PNG  you can display it without people needing to download unknown files in order to view them ...  :rolleyes: )

Well done Stu,

You should be proud of that - its good. I do have to say though - what is happening to the world of astronomy, dob fans using fracs and viewers starting to image, whatever next :shocked:

Keep up the good work, well done again.

Ian

Decent enough starter sir ... :laugh:

You'll find a UV/IR Block pretty much essential to really start popping fine detail as the Continuum leaks IR .

( And if you save your final result as a PNG you can display it without people needing to download unknown files in order to view them ... :rolleyes: )

Thanks Steve. I forgot to say I did actually use a UV/IR cut filter....

Thanks for the tip about saving the file as a png. I'll sort tomorrow, seem to have messed it up now :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done Stu,

You should be proud of that - its good. I do have to say though - what is happening to the world of astronomy, dob fans using fracs and viewers starting to image, whatever next :shocked:

Keep up the good work, well done again.

Ian

Thanks Ian.

I shall stick to simple stuff with a minimum of processing I think, just solar and lunar hopefully.....

Stu

Well done, that's a fabulous image :) :) :) I don't think you will get much better than that with the Philips, it looks pretty similar to the shots I got with it. I'd be very happy with this :)

Alexandra

Well done, that's a fabulous image :) :) :) I don't think you will get much better than that with the Philips, it looks pretty similar to the shots I got with it. I'd be very happy with this :)

Alexandra

Thank you very much Alexandra, reassuring that I wasn't too far off the mark :-)

I assume I can potentially improve by using a Barlow to get some more resolution in the active areas, and by picking a time with better seeing?

Stu

Not mine Scott. I'm sticking with simple!!

Haha, that's what we all said. ;)

Seriously though, there've been some brilliant pics taken using pretty much what you've got. I'm sure you'll have plenty of hrs or joy and many more of frustration. :D

A Barlow will certainly help , I find a 2x is plenty and frames all but the biggest spots nicely with the SPC900.

The most critical thing is as ever nailing the focus , I have the distinct advantage using a USB controlled focuser and would really struggle without it now ...  :smiley:

A Barlow will certainly help , I find a 2x is plenty and frames all but the biggest spots nicely with the SPC900.

The most critical thing is as ever nailing the focus , I have the distinct advantage using a USB controlled focuser and would really struggle without it now ... :smiley:

Thanks Steve. I have a decent Barlow so will try this.

I'll also try using my 106 triplet which has a dual speed focuser, might make life easier. Might even stock it on the Atlux rather than the alt az!

Archived