SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ethos 13mm - good, worth ?

cpper

I'm a long time planetary/lunar/cluster observer and have a nice spread of eyepieces, including the ZAO I's and II's. If I had to keep only one set I would keep the Ethos, they have been game changers for me. The give up very little to the ZAO's on planetary, and only then on nights of great seeing with low humidity, stunning on lunar and clusters. With the 13 Ethos in my 10" Mak-Cass M13 nearly fills that expansive fov, worth the entry price for that view alone.

As far as buying from TV or the copy cats, I feel the same as you. TV spent a lot of time and money to bring these to market and I want to reward them with my purchases. If it were an automobile or a television my purchase wouldn't make a bit of difference to the company but those who develop new products for amateur astronomers are usually small, often family companies who sell small volumes in a very small niche market in the middle of a horrible recession. I feel my purchases do matter to them and I do what I can to support them so they can continue to innovate.

Bravo.

Olly

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive had a look through an ethos 13 but found the eye relief too tight for my glasses. Im sure its a beautiful eyepiece but unfortunately with my specs it wasn't for me.

That brief view saved me hundreds of pounds though, and my lovely nagler t4 collection is here to stay !

Cheers

I don't think any of the 100 degree eyepieces currently out there will suit those who need to wear glasses when observing. I guess this is the next step in eyepiece development - 100 degree eyepieces with 20mm of eye relief. I think the same was thought about 82 degree eyepieces until Tele Vue bought out the T4 Naglers although there is only 2mm of difference between the eye relief of the 12mm and 17mm T4's and the Ethos. Enough to make the difference for glasses wearers I guess.

Hi john,

The difference for me was that although I could see a decent image I couldnt see the full image to the field stop. When I tried, I could feel my glasses touching the eyepiece which made me wince , and at an acceptable distance I could see a similar field to an 82degree eyepiece I would say.

So a lovely eyepiece, but id be paying extra for a bit of the field I couldn't see .... if I didnt wear specs though id have case full of ethos and a much lighter wallet. !!!!

Cheers

Hi john,

The difference for me was that although I could see a decent image I couldnt see the full image to the field stop. When I tried, I could feel my glasses touching the eyepiece which made me wince , and at an acceptable distance I could see a similar field to an 82degree eyepiece I would say.

So a lovely eyepiece, but id be paying extra for a bit of the field I couldn't see .... if I didnt wear specs though id have case full of ethos and a much lighter wallet. !!!!

Cheers

Isn't part of the appeal of the design that you're not really supposed to see the field stop with these EP's?

I know it's a personal thing and some people prefer to see the field stop, perhaps out of habit more than anything else, but I think the idea is that you forget it exists in the first place.

Isn't part of the appeal of the design that you're not really supposed to see the field stop with these EP's?

I know it's a personal thing and some people prefer to see the field stop, perhaps out of habit more than anything else, but I think the idea is that you forget it exists in the first place.

Thats the way I look it it too. When I want to see a field stop I have orthos, Radians etc. I got fond of the "limitless pool of stars" effect years ago when I used to take the field stops out of my old eyepieces. The outer parts of the field were awful but the sense of stars as far as the eye can see was quite intoxicating.

It's going to be very much subject to personal taste though and I know others who prefer the edge of field to be well defined. There is no right or wrong way to view the Universe  :smiley:

This is how I see it. You can use the huge field to lose any reminder of being on earth or you can peer into the edges and take in the full field (just about!!  :grin: )

Olly

Oh chaps, you are teasing me now with talk of immersive views !

Id love to be able to use these 100degree eyepieces but I do worry about my glasses scrarching the coatings. With my naglers I go close enough to see the field stop and then I know im at a safe distance from the lens , and getting any closer wont give me any wider views.

I suppose im used to it now and witn astigmatism being one of my eye problems taking my specs off isnt an option im afraid.

So, enjoy the spacewalk but ill have to watch from the porthole im afraid.

Cheers

Oh chaps, you are teasing me now with talk of immersive views !

Id love to be able to use these 100degree eyepieces but I do worry about my glasses scrarching the coatings. With my naglers I go close enough to see the field stop and then I know im at a safe distance from the lens , and getting any closer wont give me any wider views.

I suppose im used to it now and witn astigmatism being one of my eye problems taking my specs off isnt an option im afraid.

So, enjoy the spacewalk but ill have to watch from the porthole im afraid.

Cheers

Contacts?

Olly

(You might scratch a monocentric with contacts but not an Ethos!!! :grin: )

This is how I see it. You can use the huge field to lose any reminder of being on earth or you can peer into the edges and take in the full field (just about!!  :grin: )

Olly

Hope to get that feeling too ! The Ethos just arrived to my friend in America. He will bring it to me in late August. 

A lot of opticians will offer you a free trial. Why don't you give it a wirl? It's a bit like wearing a new wristwatch. At first your very aware of it and you constantly feel it. But after a few days you just forget all about it.

I don't like ultra wide fields :( Not being able to see the fieldstop makes me feel queezy after a short while. Binoculars have the same effect :( 68/70* is just perfect for me.

Hi everybody :)

What are your opinions about the TV Ethos 13mm eyepiece, regarding DSO observing ? I might take one for 450$, is it worth ?

Get me two at that price and a 4.7mm if there's one of those too ;-D

Ive considered contacts but i must admit im not too keen, maybe one day though !

I wear contacts permanently. I sleep in them and change after a month of 24/7 wear. very good. I'd be surprised if the lens on the average glasses would be curved enough to touch the glass on an Ethos. I agree on the field though. what's the point if you cannot see it 'all'? that said, they are superb for other reasons than field.

I wear contacts permanently. I sleep in them and change after a month of 24/7 wear. very good. I'd be surprised if the lens on the average glasses would be curved enough to touch the glass on an Ethos. I agree on the field though. what's the point if you cannot see it 'all'? that said, they are superb for other reasons than field.

Isn't that kind of like saying what's the point of anything existing beyond our peripheral vision if we have to move our eyeballs to see it?

Isn't that kind of like saying what's the point of anything existing beyond our peripheral vision if we have to move our eyeballs to see it?

not really! a slightly bizarre stretch.

I meant what's the point in paying for extra field if you cannot use it.

Hope to get that feeling too ! The Ethos just arrived to my friend in America. He will bring it to me in late August. 

You are gonna love this thing!!The 21E also excels at its job .....my nebula hunter,so far Crescent,Monkeyhead,Rosette,Flame,M42,Pleiades nebulosity,M42,Veil + Pickerings Wisp and more,a lot of things I'm not sure what they are yet.They make it look like you are looking from outside a spacecraft,I love it.I want the 3.7E so I can "fly over the moon"!

Not sure what your scope is or focal ratio,but the 13mm is said to be the best Ethos...I love all the ones I own.Excited for your first light.

Gerry, my scope is a  8" f/6 dob.  I hope it will be a DSO killer > :)

There's no doubt that Ethos are extrodinary fine EPs. There're though other effective methods for DSO:

1. Bigger scope.

or even better,

2. observing under dark sky.

There's no doubt that Ethos are extrodinary fine EPs. There're though other effective methods for DSO:

1. Bigger scope.

or even better,

Now that really is a great post!  :icon_salut:

1. Bigger scope.

or even better,

I agree totally Yong,observing under a dark sky is key for DSO and a bigger scope is also an asset.The $450.00 price point for the 13E is just too good to pass up and will complement the 8" dob nicely.

I must say to the OP that I do observe under very dark skies and use an OIII filter for most nebulae.The exit pupil is also matched to the filter requirements-4mm-5mm works well.This does place the 13E a bit on the low side with your scope/OIII.The 13E/8" dob will be amazing on the core of M42 and may show a bright,green mottled structure.Your combo will also excel on galaxies.

Down the road a good 30mm widefield would be of benefit to you with that scope-and a well chosen OIII.And of course more aperture (within limits) is nice to have and would also make the 13E feel right at home.

Archived