NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

iPhone Solar snaps 4th July

Stu

I hesitate to put this in the imaging section, but there isn't a happy snapper section so here goes.

I've been getting cracking visual views through the TV85/Herschel Wedge/12.5mm Hutech Ortho/Continuum filter combination so I thought I would try the good old iPhone trick to see what happened.

I've done these in 'Continuum green', and also converted to mono. Not even comparable to the views through the eyepiece but gives a vague impression ;-)

e2u3umem.jpg

ada8y2y9.jpg

uhajyqev.jpg

ymyne5ur.jpg

ame2yjen.jpg

bybehyra.jpg

2yhepure.jpg

epavega6.jpg

qe3yty6u.jpg

Bit of fun anyway, and was happy to get something vaguely recognisable :-)

My humble apologies to any proper imagers out there who may feel a little queasy looking at these :-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see some green shots, Stu. I tried h-alpha with my phone but it goes very wrong for me, yours are miles better!

I know what you mean, I have tried with the PST before and it's very hit or miss. If you squint, you can sort of imagine there are prominences there. I'm sure I've posted some here before.... eeek!

I know what you mean, I have tried with the PST before and it's very hit or miss. If you squint, you can sort of imagine there are prominences there. I'm sure I've posted some here before.... eeek!

They must have been better than mine. A nice prom was out and I couldn't see anything of the prom at all! I don't know if it was some kind of autofocus problem?

You're not wrong... It's very tricky, particularly if your simply trying to hold the phone's lens to the eyepiece. I've never been much good at it. Here are a couple I tried to capture only this morning, coincidentally.

All you solar photography buffs, step aside!! ;)

post-30253-0-40013600-1404629953_thumb.j

post-30253-0-68001500-1404630010_thumb.j

post-30253-0-37968400-1404630024_thumb.j

post-30253-0-94104700-1404630037_thumb.j

Nice ones Aaron. I reckon that with your eyes shut its hard to tell the difference between ours and Luke's shot through the Quark! ;-)

Yeah, Luke still has a lot to learn regarding taking solar shots through the Quark, but it seems he is just too darn proud to ask for advice. Do I really seem THAT unapproachable?! ;)

Yeah, Luke still has a lot to learn regarding taking solar shots through the Quark, but it seems he is just too darn proud to ask for advice. Do I really seem THAT unapproachable?! ;)

It's your long equipment list :shocked::grin:

I'd love to take a few snaps with my phone if I could get the hang of it. Are there any settings you change on your phone?

Looks like I might be trying to compensate for something...

Those images upward in this post (yes, the ones that come close to rivalling your hi-res, "I'm sitting smack bang in the bowels of hell and loving every minute of it" shots :) ) were taken with the regular camera in the iPhone that doesn't really allow for any real settings changes. As lovely as the captured eyepiece reflections and lack of any real details are, I can't help but think I can probably get better results with a different camera app and if I bother to attach the phone adapter thingy I have.

I just gave it a go on the moon earlier (it's the first time I've bothered to use it) and the result was semi reasonable (see below... Sorry to sin and post a pic of the moon in this section), so I'm actually fairly keen to see if I can get a decent shot of the sun with it. I'm thinking TV76+Quark+focal reducer (which is providing a field that could easily fit 2 full disks side by side) might just do the trick.

On a side note, I tried the focal reducer in the 110mm yesterday and... You little ripper... Lovely full disk views in the scope as well!!

post-30253-0-14464300-1404739704_thumb.j

post-30253-0-10669300-1404739717_thumb.j

Another attempt today (8th July), along with some highly sophisticated cropping and brightness/contrast adjustment ;-) , all done on the iPhone. I think this one shows a little more detail?

a7y4yjym.jpg

Stu

Archived