NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My new star party tent

astronymonkey

I generally take my caravan with me to star camps but I find this limits my choices and ive become a bit soft with the luxuries of a caravan.

Now Ive backpacked / hiked/ camped for years when I was younger and the main reason for not bringing a tent to most starparties is ive only really got an ultralight tent which is ideal for wild camps in the hills but has little room for astro kit.

So i decided to go ou and get a new tent that I can sit up in and spend the day if need be if is raining ouside (doing this in an ultralight tent isnt ideal, especially when you can barely sit upright)

Having wadered around Go Outddors I was taken b he quality of some of the tents that were on offer and opted for a Vango EOS 350 , which is a 3 person tent with a decent sized living area but isnt a huge family tent.

The tent only cost £109 and with a £10off voucher I had recieved in the post it came in at just £99.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/eos-350-p183850

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Vango-Eos-350/2393

I put the tent up in the garden today and Im amazed at the quality and space there is. There is even enough headroom to sit on a camping chair in there which is ideal. In total it took 25ins to put up from scratch and the same aount to take down but i think this would be half that amout of time now Ive had a go and know what goeas where.

So , if anyone is after a decet starparty tent thats not huge and would easily take two people plus kit, I dont think you can go far wrong with this little bargin.

Cheers

I used to run DofE at my school and I was always using Go Outdoors as they were good value for money.  I'm not allowed to wander around the shop now as I always buy something. :rolleyes:

Did you see the tents that don't even have poles?  There are some you just inflate nowadays.  Dead impressed.

I have the Vango omega 350 and I can vouch for it being a great tent and water tight as it did 3 night's at the peak precipitation party 2013.

Attending this year and galloway but hoping its only for sleeping in during the day this time!

Value for money I don't think there is anything better on the market is there?

I'm going to get either the EOS 350 or Omega 350 at some point, the Omega is slightly more expensive but I cant see where its different to the EOS 350..?  :confused:

Hi mike,

I spent about 30mins comparing the omega and the eos side by side in the shop and opted for the oes as it seemed like the best value.

the main differences were:

- The omega had a higher hydrostatic head at 5000 versus 3000 for the eos. Of all the reviews I looked at online I didnt find any that said this was a problem though.

- the omega has alloy poles whereas the eos has fibreglass

- The omega has straps that brace the inside of the hoops in bad wind, but on looking at the eos it seems a similar idea could be fitted

- the eos has bigger windows

- the eos has the living area groundsheet sewn into the bottom edge of the inner tent whereas in the omega this seemed to be separate. I much prefer the sewn in idea .

- The eos is very slightly heavier. The brochure suggested that it was about 4kg heavier but it was a printing error and on the tent bag they were both just over 6kg.

- both have groundsheets with hydrostatic heads of 10000 but the eos was a woven one , similar to a tarpaulin, and the omega had a more fancy material .... but it didnt seem as robust.

As the eos was much cheaper though it means I have a bit of spare money to add to my sleeping bag funds. I saw a review that said this was a good idea and I seem to agree.... so my sleeping bag budget is more realistic to get a proprer, good brand, 4 season bag.

cheers

I'm sticking with my 1985 Lichfield..as mapstar says last years PSP was a test for any tent and mine was fine...then after much smirking at Dobfest ... It with stood the Lynn tornado that swampthings didn't! It will be in "action" again at Dobfest 2 but I fear I will have to go shopping after this. My main factor in a new tent will be porch area as every starparty I've been to this becomes the place I spend most of my weekend, not at the eyepiece !!!

I have had an EOS350XL I bought from go outdoors for  a while..  

I have had it leak around the zips and the because of the sloping doors you do end up getting run-off into the living area when you open them up ... Had the elastic snap in one set of poles as well...

Ok for the money though and reasonable easy to put up even on your own...

Peter...

I have had an EOS350XL I bought from go outdoors for a while..

I have had it leak around the zips and the because of the sloping doors you do end up getting run-off into the living area

A good tap on the outside canvas before opening cures most of the run off ;-)

that eos 350 just looks like the omega 350 I used to have.i spent a month in france living in one while climbing an it was a great tent.i wouldn't say it was a comfy 3 man though,more a spacious 2 man.it did me great as a huge 1 man with storage.sold mine on ebay as the gf prefers the tents you can stand up in so we bough a hi gear and regretted it!!

I got sick of pitching a tent every time I went bush to star gaze here in OZ , to many creepy/crawlies on the ground so I grabbed one of these roof top tents for my 4x4 Ute , at $2000 aud its expensive but its the best 2k I have ever spent .

It is up and ready for use in under one miniute , just undo the 4 large 'butterfly' clips , crank the handle and up she rises , has a double bed made up with pillows all the time ,that's nice and warm ,the access ladder and chase lounge are up there as well and its a really sweet set up that gets me up off the ground in comfort .

Brian.

post-18525-0-64024800-1404215245_thumb.j

post-18525-0-53846600-1404215293_thumb.j

post-18525-0-06891500-1404215455_thumb.j

post-18525-0-74008200-1404215559_thumb.j

I got sick of pitching a tent every time I went bush to star gaze here in OZ , to many creepy/crawlies on the ground so I grabbed one of these roof top tents for my 4x4 Ute , at $2000 aud its expensive but its the best 2k I have ever spent .

It is up and ready for use in under one miniute , just undo the 4 large 'butterfly' clips , crank the handle and up she rises , has a double bed made up with pillows all the time ,that's nice and warm ,the access ladder and chase lounge are up there as well and its a really sweet set up that gets me up off the ground in comfort .

Brian.

thats amazing, your so lucky to have great weather

Archived