Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Torn between

daiwelly

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Steve definitely, I will and come and spend the afternoon and evening with you if I may, I will stay longer this year! hoping to have a FL with the dob tonight still got to put the setting circle on it tomorrow I have to pick it up in Brecon in the morning. :icon_salut:

daiwelly.......good scope to have. The 200P sits just right for ease of use, value for money, works with most EP,s and gives good results under the right conditions.

Ive also looked at tricking my scope out. TELRAD ( I cant focus the Telrad without wearing glasses ?) snoods, setting circles, fans, filters ( the reason for not buying them in kits). All those items have been looked at, but realised, that with a Dobsonian, I just want to keep it simple. With the setting circles, I just dont see the point. I want to get away from setting up, or having to align things. Had all those problems with my other scope? My problem with setting circles is you still need to be able to read them. If I can read them, then the conditions are not dark enough for decent observations. If I cant read them, then using a torch, seems to defeat the purpose of dark site observation. Even a red torch just seems too bright. I'm not suggesting you dont, its all part of the fun for some folk. A quick look at Stellarium is all I need for the night, then I'll go out and observe the constellation. Polaris is neck twisting overhead from my location, so my main interests are Cassiopeia and Ursa Major, and everything else that surrounds the pole between those constellations. I hope you have many long dark nights in the Brecons.

Ok Dob all sorted setting scale on I used Magnetic 20mm Tape on the underside of the base then made a pointer (metal) bent this U shaped fashion so i can set the base on the floor turn the scope to North place the pointer on zero (North) job done! next a CCD camera!

Dai,

There is no need to put the Base facing North.

You can use Stellerium to get the RA.

First center a bright known star in the EP.

Check its RA in Stelllerium.  IE : Vega RA 110 degrees

Then put your pointer at 110 degrees mark

Job done.

Dai,

There is no need to put the Base facing North.

You can use Stellerium to get the RA.

First center a bright known star in the EP.

Check its RA in Stelllerium.  IE : Vega RA 110 degrees

Then put your pointer at 110 degrees mark

Job done.

bang on the money Valleyman worked a treat. :smiley:

Ok Dob all sorted setting scale on I used Magnetic 20mm Tape on the underside of the base then made a pointer (metal) bent this U shaped fashion so i can set the base on the floor turn the scope to North place the pointer on zero (North) job done! next a CCD camera!

Where's the pics?!

Great job, glad you're having fun.  :smiley:

Where's the pics?!

Great job, glad you're having fun.  :smiley:

post-31880-0-19275800-1406997623_thumb.j

This is the base correct way up with pointer in position.

post-31880-0-98798100-1406997813_thumb.j

Here is the underside of the base plate with the two tracks of magnetic tape around the out side edge of the base plate again the pointer is in position.

post-31880-0-46351300-1406997983_thumb.j

This is the digital angle finder it has magnetic base and sticks to the tube and can be zeroed.

post-31880-0-89036500-1406998206_thumb.j

This is it setup on field.

I am going to make a second pointer as an alternative which be the same type of pointer with a jewelers loupe magnifier attached to it, which will be illuminated by LED bulb they are about £2.50 on ebay, I have ordered one, if it dont work i can throw it in the draw.  With the led bulb just enough light to see the scale but not enough to spoil night vision anyway we will see or not!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You might want to add a Telrad to your "to buy" list Dai -about £35 I think - one of the most useful things I've bought plus a Rolson Strap handle thingy that Mike and Len got us into - about £3 but makes movng your Dob about so much easier

That would be great L8-Nite, this afternoon i have made a leveling board all be it a temporary one till I get home i have ordered stainless steel feet levelers at the moment i have bought a set of plastic ones the type they use on kitchen units till i get home .

• 3 weeks later...

Ok

I took the plunge today and did the milk bottle mod to the secondary mirror today, collimation is a breeze now. also whilst I had my dremel out the finder scope was slipping in its mounting shoe so I marked where the thumbscrew tightens on the shoe and ground a small dimple out and now it wont slip

post-31880-0-27758200-1410859002_thumb.j

I am well pleased with the mods :cool::hello2:

Archived