Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Torn between

daiwelly

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure yet Lenny

Its turning really easy for me so I dont see the point its not sticking at all its really smooth. any way I will be popping up pencelli for the meet I will fetch it up with me, see what you think see what the dob hands think of it. really  I think next start looking for a couple of decent lenses. for a spectacle wearer I understand BST are OK any thoughts.  :smiley:

If I was starting again Dai the first lens I would go for would be a 2 Inch widefield eye piece - 31mm to 35mm perhaps - a panaview or Hyperion perhaps- can't remember the one I have its 31mm - Goddam old age don't come alone although I'm wondering if all the burgers I ate in the 90's are now coming back to haunt me 

Will the Dob, move under gravity with a "Lazy" fitted if the Dob is not on level ground? I've  find the 'stiction' on the Skyliner just fine over the last year. 

To be honest if you've got a smooth movement with your current set up I woudn't bother - the Lazy Susan mod does make the Azimuth movement buttery smooth but you might need to add some milk carton rings or sponge which is what I use to give it some friction because your right if theres no contact with the upper board on the Dob base it would move- I've even seen mine move on a level base in a slight breeze before I added the sponge- it just needs something to give it a little friction which is a bit of trial and errort when your setting it up to begin with.

Here is the link steve its a pdf file on collimation it makes adjusting the secondary easier and smoother.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=136801

:smiley:

Thats a good write up on Collimation as well Dai - I might try that before I get to Pencelli this year - cheers

Its a good write up Steve and the bottle caps have made it so much easier, I am going to change the three adjust screws on the secondary mirror to thumbscrews the slim ones i am looking for the chrome or stainless steel one's i have found plenty of nylon one's not sure i want to use nylon

To be honest if you've got a smooth movement with your current set up I woudn't bother - the Lazy Susan mod does make the Azimuth movement buttery smooth but you might need to add some milk carton rings or sponge which is what I use to give it some friction because your right if theres no contact with the upper board on the Dob base it would move- I've even seen mine move on a level base in a slight breeze before I added the sponge- it just needs something to give it a little friction which is a bit of trial and errort when your setting it up to begin with.

steveytynant.........cheers. The upgrade is not on my list, but thanks for the info about the breeze. That, and the smoothness,  was just a pointer, in relation to the comment  lennylovit mentions about a  "Lazy Susan" upgrade #54
Having too smooth a system could bring other problems further ahead, that not everyone 'sees' before  modification. Another SGL member was asking about a 'wedge' for a Dob. It would work, but will be problematic if a "Susan" was fitted, which was the case!

Ok been reading some posts about balancing the dob when you come to use 2" lenses, and doing a search on the web I have come up with a idea, which will involve a short web strap 4 cup hooks and a spring.

1. The first cup hook will be located on the inside of the front board of the dob mount.
  2. 3 further cup hooks will be located again on the inside of one of the side boards the side where the tension-er will be located.
  3. a spring will be attached to one end of the web strap one end of the web strap will hooked on the front board and over the black bearing and the spring will be hooked on one of the hooks on the side boards the 3 hooks will provide 3 levels of tension.

Comments would be welcome!! 

Another way to balance a dob' is to use a length of chain hooked on the mirror end with some spare on the ground which will add progressively more weight as the scope is depressed. I know it sounds cheap and cheerful, but it is an easy way to balance with various eyepieces.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been thinking about one, but you guys have got me scared of Dob's now.  :unsure:

The Wife says we need a touring caravan first.

Edit: And she knows of a nice site to go to.  :wink:  

She had her caravan, any movement on the Dob. I know for a good site too!! :icon_salut:

Archived