Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

White light views 10th June

Stu

Just popped the 85 out at lunchtime, and the views are wonderful. The main AR's centre stage are just amazingly detailed, may try a quick sketch but it will be tricky!

Again, the thing that caught my eye though was the action on both 'left' and 'right' limbs. To the right, there is an area of faculae with a nicely formed group of spots just coming in to view (if I've got my rotation right!) To the left, there are some lovely faculae with a few tiny spots embedded in them. Very nice.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is looking very good today Stu. I had a quick view earlier to test out our newly acquired TV60. I could see more than enough detail with the 60, so I can imagine the 85 view is even better!

Sarah

I do like the look of your 60 Sarah, I think you two are as bad as me!!

Quick sketch of the largest AR, sort of centre ish but down towards 8 o'clock for me.

mu3ymyta.jpg

TV85, Herschel Wedge, 12.5mm Hutech and Continuum filter

Stu

Just had another quick peek. There is so much detail visible, far more than I've shown in my somewhat crude sketch, but you get the idea I hope!

Stu

Just caught the tail end of a flare outburst from the new AR that is oncoming. It's now composed of several low loops looking like a giant fiery tarantula crawling over the horizon :eek: . Superb seeing is an added bonus, easily supporting 150X.  :smiley:

Great report and sketch Stu.We had a light rain yesterday and now at 10 am the sky and sun are excellent.I wonder how good the views can actually get sometimes!Spots are taking 170x and the view @ 50x with the 12.5mm Tak ortho is superb.I love solar

Thanks Gerry, it really is a lovely day for it today. The granulation is very clear, as are the faculae near both limbs.

I've updated my sketch of the largest AR for 17.30, here they both are for comparison....

7utu4e8a.jpg

a6ubuvy3.jpg

Still experimenting with my beginners sketching techniques :-)

Stu

Very nice too Shane! I wasn't organized enough to try to do a full disk, you've got it very nicely.

I find it amazing how much the detail changes over the course of a few hours

Nice drawings Stu :smiley: there is no need to show off :grin:

What effect does the Continuum filter have when used with the wedge and polarising filter. I was also wondering where it is positioned in the light path. I have read it is before the ND3, but I am not sure this is correct ?

Nice drawings Stu :smiley: there is no need to show off :grin:

What effect does the Continuum filter have when used with the wedge and polarising filter. I was also wondering where it is positioned in the light path. I have read it is before the ND3, but I am not sure this is correct ?

Thanks Shaun ;-)

The Continuum filter can either be used in place of, or in conjunction with the polarizing filter ie it screws into the eyepiece same as the polarizing filter.

It took a while to get used to the green image, but I now actually enjoy it more than just the polarizer because the narrowband nature of it seems to sharpen up the image somehow. If used with the polarizing filter, it is similar but rotating the ep adjusts the brightness level allowing you to fine tune the view.

I think the Continuum draws out the granulation and faculae a little more, so I find it is all I use now.

Stu

Archived