Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Success at last with Saturn

Where I'm at more often there are no clouds in the summer months and when there are, it usually means rain. We had one morning of fog that I can remember. I am happy that I was able to use my Barlow with Saturn finally. Mars might be my next target to try with the Barlow.

Good to hear you were successful viewing Saturn, always worth seeing.

If you try Mars be prepared to spend time observing as the detail is very subtle and depends hugely on the seeing conditions.

Good luck

Good to hear you were successful viewing Saturn, always worth seeing.

If you try Mars be prepared to spend time observing as the detail is very subtle and depends hugely on the seeing conditions.

Good luck

Mars does take a bit of time to see any detail.

Steve.

Congrats on that. My first sight of Saturn was with a 70mm frac too (an F/10 achromat at my school). Unforgettable experience

The first time I saw Saturn's rings through a scope it moved me much more than I expected. I'd waited all summer for it, about 1990. I saw it with my first astronomy scope (a 4.5 Tasco Newtonian), after months of looking for it, about 2am. I was looking in the right place all summer, it was just too low. When it finally rose over the houses opposite I thought 'that's got to be it!', and as I turned the focus.... man!

I've seen a couple of solar eclpses since, and as mind blowing as they were, I'm still not sure they beat the first view of Saturn.

Hi cutepetgroomer,

Yep seen saturn last night for first time too, mind blowing, had a bit of a treat as saturn was one side of the moon and mars the other , keep the clear skies coming.

Jamie

• 2 months later...

The first time I saw Saturn was about 20 Yrs ago, through a 4.5" Newtonian I'd bought that morning. I took it out in the back yard that night, looked up and thought "that bright star over there looks interesting", pointed it at the "star" and my first reaction was "Damn, the mirrors got a problem, star looks like its got loops on it's sides". Then I slightly moved the focus knobs, and nearly fell over when I realisewhat I was looking at. A beautiful piece of beginners luck.

HI I have been having a look at saturn and not seeing the rings but only using a 25mm Eypiece what is the best eyepiece for seeing saturn. ?

You should see the rings with 25mm ep, was looking at Saturn last night with a 25mm ep in a 90mm frac and rings clearly visable.  A 13mm or a 6mm ep will give you better views, but stick with the 25mm to start.

Archived