Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi new to the forum (well posting anyway). Ordered my first scope from Telescope house. It is a Skywatcher explorer 200p with EQ5, and hopefully will arrive tomorrow. I am looking at getting an DSLR at the end of the month to hopefully do some Astrophotography. I have settled on a canon either the 450d or 1000d or the 1100 d. If I was to go for the 1100d I would buy new. I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of these. I will be using the scope in South West France so no problem with light pollution. Also high on my list is the go to kit.

Thanks in advance

Steve.

Congrats. Nice choice in scope. You could always try eyepiece projection first before going prime focus (with the DSLR). Still a lot of fun to be had whilst you save up (that is if you already have a little handheld camera.) The 1100D has just been replaced with the 1200D as well. The 1100D is thought of quite highly on the forums so the 1200D will probably become a firm favourite for a first DSLR.

Good luck!

Thank you both for your quick replies. I feel reasured now that I have made the right choice in scope and Camera :smiley: , always a worry. You can read the articles on them written by the manufacture, but to get the thumbs up from people who have actually used the equipement is far more important I feel. Hopefully it wont be long before I can start putting my first pics up on here. I do have a hand held digital, I can start with that as you suggest Blazer. Perhaps waiting another month to get the 1200d wont hurt. Many thanks again for your replies.

Steve.

You certainly won't be disappointed with the 200p, it's a very good scope,

I don't do A P so I can't comment on that aspect, for visual it's spot on.

Good luck with your new kit, I'm sure you will have a great time with it.

My telescope arrived yesterday morning all nicely boxed. Unpacked and checked, all ok (as far as I can tell). Could not use it last night as we were out and I start my night's tonight so will have to wait till next week :sad: .Right I have missed out on a few cameras on eBay, so have decided to wait a few weeks and get a new Cannon. In the meantime I wonder if anyone can recomend some filters. I have seen the skywatcher set at Telescope house. There are 4 of them for under £30, do you think this would be a good start. Im off to France in 3 weeks so hopefully I should get a few nights observing here in the UK before I go. Is there anything else I should have, apart from clear sky's to start with. I intend to get go to kit after I get back. Your views/ideas will be most welcome.

Steve

I haven't bothered with any filters like that but I do have a Moon filter though sun glasses for the Moon (only!) Do a similar job of reducing moon glare.

Something to collimate with and turn left at orion a book.

Archived