Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best pic of Saturn yet

I had the best seeing to date tonight.  I typically view planets at 200x and there is still a lot of distortion.  Tonight it was very steady and I threw my 2x barlow on and was still able to see pretty clearly.  I didn't think I'd ever be able to use 400x on my scope.

Anyway, astrophotography is very tough through an 8 inch dob with no nice camera, just a phone, but I somehow was able to get a great picture of Saturn.  Here it is:

j5C3FCi.png

Not bad for a smartphone.  I didn't want to come inside because I don't know if I'll ever have a night of seeing like this again.  I hope others had as much luck tonight as I did.  Clear skies!

Hey, that's awesome!

I couldn't get my iPhone to lower the exposure enough and Saturn kept coming out wayyyy too bright (although it looked wonderful to the eye).

Did you use a certain camera app / setting? or is your phone something like the Lumia 1020? 

thats epic! for a phone, what phone is it?

It's the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Hey, that's awesome!

I couldn't get my iPhone to lower the exposure enough and Saturn kept coming out wayyyy too bright (although it looked wonderful to the eye).

Did you use a certain camera app / setting? or is your phone something like the Lumia 1020? 

It was the standard camera app on the S4, and the ISO exposure settings can be toggled between 800, 400, 200 and 100 or auto.  I believe I had it on 200 or 100 for these.  With the magnification so high it wasn't immensely bright, but I still had to lower the exposure.  I probably took at least 50 pics and picked the best one I could find eyeballing it to post here.  It's tough because at that magnification it drifts out of the field of view very quickly.

Archived