Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

dob fest 1 part 2

faulksy

met up with dan k and steve (swampthing) again last night. what a great night. this was the follow up to dobfest 1 which dan organised, and the meet up was at the llyn peninsula. which was originaly dan,calv, steve and me. first session was a wash out this time it was clear.

unfortunately calv couldnt make this session but dan had been there 5 days before myself and steve turned up with no clear skys, but things changed last night, the 360* skys are beautiful not 100% dark but very stable and the milkyway was ripe, seen the veil for the first time through steves big dob with a oiii filter that nearly knocked me of my feet it was amazing. next through my scope with my beloved 13mm ethos the dumbell couldnt believe how well it stud out, i have never seen it from a proper dark site it was amazing, tried it with the oiii and it was 3d like. m22 never seen that one due to it being so low this was equal to m13 very bright indeed, then on to all the usual favourites and these were all magnified 10 fold due to the dark clear condition. no doubt dan and steve will add to this or there own as they are there for another night hope they have a good time 

Nice report Mike  :smiley:

Dark skies really do make a big difference, don't they ?

The Veil is a favourite target of mine in scopes of all sizes. It's a magnificent object, or group of objects really !  :smiley:

I'm glad you all got some decent weather.

Seriously cant wait for Dobfest 2!! 

Is that a bit of 'small' dob syndrome in the pic Mike? Little one at the front big ones at the back??  :p  :grin:

Nice set up Mike,makes my "tailgate" dark sky observing seem crude!LOL!What a great open spot,how dark is it there?

you wont find out till you come :D

Mike ive got a fair few pics so i will do my own report.

great feedback from the north wales crew

Alas I think we're gonna have to hold fire on our supernova claim. Been looking at some images of M106 I think what we (or at least I) was seeing is a small bright patch in the inner spiral arm. A few images I've looked at show a tiny bright knot where I was looking.

At the power I was using the supernova wouldn't have been discernible from the core I don't think. I only had 190x I think I would have needed at least double that to even stand a chance of seeing it.

Goon fun though.

Nice pics too :)

Alas I think we're gonna have to hold fire on our supernova claim. Been looking at some images of M106 I think what we (or at least I) was seeing is a small bright patch in the inner spiral arm. A few images I've looked at show a tiny bright knot where I was looking.

At the power I was using the supernova wouldn't have been discernible from the core I don't think. I only had 190x I think I would have needed at least double that to even stand a chance of seeing it.

Goon fun though.

Nice pics too :)

what ever :grin: glad your home safe steve

Whats that tent you know im after a new one that looks decent wish i was there with you lot my 150p doesnt compare to your big dobs but i bet i would have got some great views.

that 150 would be fantastic under great skies

Sounds like a lot of fun :smiley: . Not much clear weather here recently so glad it worked out for you chaps.

Whats that tent you know im after a new one that looks decent wish i was there with you lot my 150p doesnt compare to your big dobs but i bet i would have got some great views.

Any scope under a dark sky gives great views. The way I look at it, the eye gives 1x mag, already it is a great sight naked eye to look at, any magnification is a bonus :grin:

Archived