NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another newbie from Scotland

ics27

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all for welcomes and advice. Looks like a real friendly place.  :grin:

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

bins are a great way to learn the night sky, try this link

http://binocularsky.com/

Thanks for the link. Got it bookmarked  :smiley:

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us, this is a great place to be and you will find loads of information and friendly advise.

Look forward to seeing you around  :smiley:

Have also bookmarked your site. Your images are fantastic!

Hello ics27, welcome. I'm on the East coast - the less cloudy part of Scotland  - yeah right! Clouds aside,  it's a wonderful hobby giving an opportunity to learn about our amazing universe and enjoy all the technical aspects (you will do that a lot when it's cloudy).  You are well placed for visiting  the Scottish Dark Sky Observatory.  You may also find it useful to pop along to your nearest Astronomy club for support.  Anyway, have fun, lots to learn on here but watch your wallet - this gets addictive and expensive!

Jim

Thanks Jim. I just missed out last time the Dark sky observatory had an offer on Groupon. Apparently this this happens frequently so will keep looking out. Regardless I plan to visit soon. There is a local astronomy club but its just coming to end of season. I'll look into in when it starts again in Autumn. 

Hi There,

Warm welcome to SGL.  all good advice above, also downlaod a planetarium program, lots out there but try stellarium. Its great and free to be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/  .

As far as colour blindness goes, then for visual its only the planets and coloured stars that you may have difficulty with. DSO's are faint grey fuzzies visually, but you don't mention which spectrum of colour you have difficulty with.

Thanks for link. Stellarium downloaded! 

My colourblind spectrum is called Deuteranopia, or what is more commonly known as red-green. I have been told I have a strong case of it but really I find I get on fine living with it. I find I incorrectly identify certain colours when in a pattern, like a busy wallpaper design perhaps. Sometimes I will identify a shade of brown as green and vice-versa. Last week I brought my wife her green coat when she asked for the brown one haha. 

Hi ics27, and welcome to SGL from a little further up the West Coast.

I would not worry too much about your colour blindness... most of us are at night.

The human eye does not respond all that well to colour in very low light conditions so most things viewed, apart from some planets and the odd star, are in greyscale.

Even targets which do present any colour are usually not all that brightly coloured in the eyepiece. 

Astrophotography is the best way to capture what colour there is... but that's a whole different ball game.

Enjoy your new hobby.

All the best.

Sandy. :grin:

Hi ics27 and welcome to SGL, enjoy your new bins when they arrive, but you will, I think, find that they will be on the heavy side to hand hold for any length of time.  you will need a tripod to give you a steady view. To start with, to get you going, you might use the old trick of an upturned yard broom with a towel over the bristles to rest the bins on, enjoy :)

Hi ics27 and welcome to SGL, enjoy your new bins when they arrive, but you will, I think, find that they will be on the heavy side to hand hold for any length of time.  you will need a tripod to give you a steady view. To start with, to get you going, you might use the old trick of an upturned yard broom with a towel over the bristles to rest the bins on, enjoy :)

Think I'm gonna go for the Hama star 63 tripod since I've heard its a good option for my bins. 

Archived