Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Britain to send men to the Moon!

Naz

Always makes me chuckle this! mankind achieved this feet back in the late 60's. We should have made it atleast to Mars by now if not a lot, lot further. Also do you really think our government could achieve this in a decade? it will take them a decade just to have 50 public debates about thinking about doing it whilst spending millions and getting nowhere.

• 4 weeks later...

We cant even get trains to reach their destination, and they want to go to the moon? Now there's a laugh :wink::) :)

Could be a goer though if the government think they can screw some taxes out of it.

I didn't know about that policy. I was sure Brits had already been up there. There've been about six Canadians on Shuttle missions, and I believe there's one on the ISS, or soon to be. Go Canada Go!

Yes they have WH, on both the shuttle and I believe on one of the Russian missions to Mir, but not to the moon, unless you count Wallace & Gromit :wink:

naz

We cant even get trains to reach their destination, and they want to go to the moon? Now there's a laugh :wink::) :)

Could be a goer though if the government think they can screw some taxes out of it.

could be a goer if we could screw the government to it !! :):clouds1:

Brtains have already been there think it was 1901 when a chap called Mr bedford I think his namw was he went there with an oppo

in fact yes here's a short journal explaining the trip and how it was done :-

Mr. Bedford is a British businessman with many financial problems. He is working on a play to bring in some money. He rents a small countryside house to get some peace while writing the play. However, every day a scientist passes by his house, making odd noises. After two weeks Bedford questions the scientist, Dr. Cavor, about his odd behaviour. It turns out that Cavor is developing a new material, cavorite, which is supposed to shield off gravity.

As they discover when some cavorite is prematurely produced, it shields off the Earth's gravity from air above, making that air weightless, and then shoots off into outer space by the pressure of the air below. Cavorite is later used to build a small spherical spaceship, which they use to travel to and land on the Moon.

At the Moon, the two men at first discover a desolate landscape, but as the sun rises, the (fictional) thick atmosphere of the Moon, frozen out overnight, begins to melt and vaporize. Soon strange fast-growing plants start to grow in the landscape, producing a very thorny vegetation called "bayonet scrub". Bedford and Cavor leave the capsule, but they get lost in the rapidly growing jungle, where strange creatures can be seen. Growing hungry, the pair sample native flora, described as fungus. Soon after ingestion a hazy euphoric state overtakes them, and they wander drunkenly, speaking gibberish.

They are captured by the insect-like Moon men (referred to as "Selenites"), who have formed a relatively advanced society underground. After some time in captivity, Bedford and Cavor manage to flee. They are able to kill several of their captors and numerous other Selenites due to their superior strength that results partly because of previously having lived in the Earth's stronger gravity. When Bedford and Cavor reach the surface, they devise a plan to locate their spaceship, which involves them separating. Bedford finds his way back to the spaceship and returns to Earth; Cavor becomes injured and is unable to escape recapture by the Selenites.

of course Mr Bedford is no longer with us he past on a while back but at least we have written evidence don't we now?

:wink::) :) :)

Those were the days Radio, we could do anything, find King Soloman's mines, time travel, go around the world in 80 days, journey to the centre of the Earth, discover the Lost World, everything was possible :wink:

naz

Brtains have already been there think it was 1901 when a chap called Mr bedford I think his namw was he went there with an oppo

in fact yes here's a short journal explaining the trip and how it was done :-

Mr. Bedford is a British businessman with many financial problems. He is working on a play to bring in some money. He rents a small countryside house to get some peace while writing the play. However, every day a scientist passes by his house, making odd noises. After two weeks Bedford questions the scientist, Dr. Cavor, about his odd behaviour. It turns out that Cavor is developing a new material, cavorite, which is supposed to shield off gravity.

As they discover when some cavorite is prematurely produced, it shields off the Earth's gravity from air above, making that air weightless, and then shoots off into outer space by the pressure of the air below. Cavorite is later used to build a small spherical spaceship, which they use to travel to and land on the Moon.

At the Moon, the two men at first discover a desolate landscape, but as the sun rises, the (fictional) thick atmosphere of the Moon, frozen out overnight, begins to melt and vaporize. Soon strange fast-growing plants start to grow in the landscape, producing a very thorny vegetation called "bayonet scrub". Bedford and Cavor leave the capsule, but they get lost in the rapidly growing jungle, where strange creatures can be seen. Growing hungry, the pair sample native flora, described as fungus. Soon after ingestion a hazy euphoric state overtakes them, and they wander drunkenly, speaking gibberish.

They are captured by the insect-like Moon men (referred to as "Selenites"), who have formed a relatively advanced society underground. After some time in captivity, Bedford and Cavor manage to flee. They are able to kill several of their captors and numerous other Selenites due to their superior strength that results partly because of previously having lived in the Earth's stronger gravity. When Bedford and Cavor reach the surface, they devise a plan to locate their spaceship, which involves them separating. Bedford finds his way back to the spaceship and returns to Earth; Cavor becomes injured and is unable to escape recapture by the Selenites.

of course Mr Bedford is no longer with us he past on a while back but at least we have written evidence don't we now?

:wink::) :) :)

Remember the film well, The First Men in the Monn, but showing your age a bit there as its made in 1964. For old times sake heres a picture of the publicity poster.

Steve

post-13953-133877338782_thumb.jpg

....it will take them a decade just to have 50 public debates about thinking about doing it whilst spending millions and getting nowhere.

They might have a couple of grand left over from those millions after buying a design for the spacesuit badges :wink:

....it will take them a decade just to have 50 public debates about thinking about doing it whilst spending millions and getting nowhere.

They might have a couple of grand left over from those millions after buying a design for the spacesuit badges :wink:

Pah ! A couple of grand :shock: Look how much the 2012 logo cost !! And it's naff !!

4429_normal.gif

(click to enlarge)

Remember the film well, The First Men in the Monn, but showing your age a bit there as its made in 1964. For old times sake heres a picture of the publicity poster.

Steve

I haven't seen it, but I'll have to track it down. The story is H.G. Wells's, and I read it as a child. Kate was a bit of a looker, too, judging by the IMDB photos.

You think he's dating himself? I remember "Destination Moon."(1950) :wink: It was still fairly fresh on TV in the late 50s and early 60s.

It's really pretty bad. What were they trying to express?

That when it comes to international English sport, it always sounds good up until you see it - and then once you've seen it, however hard you try, you can't quite forget.

Archived