NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OO dob base - finally running smoothly!

I managed to find half an hour this afternoon to have another go at sorting my Orion Optics OD base for my 12" F6 newt.

It is generally a fairly sturdy piece of kit, but the trunion blocks have been rubbing on the side uprights so it has not felt smooth to use. I had tried putting spacer washers in top and bottom but this didn't help. Today I took the bottom ones out and added another at the top. This just pushes the sides apart enough to stop them rubbing and it all now runs smoothly. Finally!!

I find it quite annoying as it is not a cheap piece of kit and it seems that the dimensions just need amending slightly to avoid this problem.

I also found that the friction brake had been assembled incorrectly so it would not fit. It was a simple matter of switching the Teflon pad and the grub screw around but still, it shouldn't ship like that.

I now feel far happier about plonking it out for more frequent sessions so hope to get more use out of it. Still needs collimating though, that's my next challenge!!

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad it's sorted Stu but, as you say, it's not a low cost mount so one would expect it to be a little more precisely made.

I had a quote from OO for one for my 12" F/5.3 but I thought it was too expensive so Shane gamely volunteered to make me one and did a great job for a substantially lower cost  :smiley:

Now yours is sorted though it should at least stay that way and they are pretty good mounts when they work.

this is a common issue Stu with their bases and you'd imagine they would work a little harder on it.

on my 6" there are some grub screws which adjust the angle/distances of the trunnion blocks but sounds like you are sorted. enjoy!

this is a common issue Stu with their bases and you'd imagine they would work a little harder on it.

on my 6" there are some grub screws which adjust the angle/distances of the trunnion blocks but sounds like you are sorted. enjoy!

Thanks Shane. Yes, I have the same adjustment screws but it didn't seem to matter what I did, there just wasn't enough space between the uprights. It now seems fine and runs smoothly, and the friction brake works well too. Really want to start using it more now, I can set it up far more quickly than the Vixen obviously so hopefully it will let me get more observing in.

Stu

I'm glad it's sorted Stu but, as you say, it's not a low cost mount so one would expect it to be a little more precisely made.

I had a quote from OO for one for my 12" F/5.3 but I thought it was too expensive so Shane gamely volunteered to make me one and did a great job for a substantially lower cost :smiley:

Now yours is sorted though it should at least stay that way and they are pretty good mounts when they work.

Thanks John. It basically seems to be a very good mount, just let down by some small details which wouldn't be hard to fix.

Anyway, sorted now, just need to get some clear sky!

Stu

Thanks John. It basically seems to be a very good mount, just let down by some small details which wouldn't be hard to fix....

Agreed Stu. We do have to say this sort of thing rather often though, don't we ?. I don't just mean with Orion Optics but there are quite a few brands which have equipment with well known issues that they could have easily sorted long ago.

Perhaps the manufactuers should spend a little time on forums ? - they would get some great feedback on how to improve their products, for free !

Interesting thread. I nearly pushed the button on the VX 8 and Dob mount a while back but was put off. This is probably not the only thought provoking thread around for this provider. I sympathise with BigMakStutov and if I had received such a poorly prepared item I would have made a big fuss. Come on OO it can't be that hard.

It was brand new out of the box! I know I probably should make more fuss but I can't actually be bothered to dismantle and pack it all up to send back. The design is basically very good, but it either needs a little more width between the uprights or the trunion blocks need machining down so they don't rub. That is an option I may pursue but will use it as it is for a while.

I can only assume OO make so much from their research grade stuff that the low end kit is just a bit of extra pocket money for them.

Stu

I can only assume OO make so much from their research grade stuff that the low end kit is just a bit of extra pocket money for them.

I've had two Skywatchers and they worked perfectly well straight out of the box, I couldnt even assemble my OOUK because there were parts missing and when I did I found the focuser was more wonky than a wonky thing so that was sent back. Its all sorted now and I love it but its been hard work getting to the point of having a working telescope.  :rolleyes:

Archived