Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heatwave !!!!

Pig

Better dig out the snow boots and snow shoes then. if perhaps not that cold then the dry suit and snorkel, but with our forecasting sun cream will be unnecessary.

Ever since the spell of 2 or 3 hot summers they have predicted a scorching summer, and generally been wrong. None matched those few we had.The catch is that eventually we will get another one (sheer random chance says we will). Then they will claim how correct they were.

As usual, a small hint that temperatures *may* be slightly above average over the next three months has been blown out of proportion by a newspaper then again by people who read it.

The reason newspapers do these stories is to, wait for it, sell newspapers.

If you get your forecasts from the front page of a newspaper then months later blame the weather forecasters for getting it wrong, then more fool you. :)

Some very cross responses, I am surprised :shocked:  What a miserable bunch you are :grin:  the sun has been very good to us the last 2 months

I thought a bit of potential good news would have cheered proceedings up, rather than the usual doom & gloom :laugh:

I'm not cross I just get annoyed by these stories. Go and read the Met Office 3-monthly temperature and precipitation planning forecasts and then look at the story in the Mirror and then understand what the newspapers do to sell more papers.

I'll also disclose here that I work for the Met Office so I see this all the time. Gets boring really quickly.

Cheers

Ian

I'll also disclose here that I work for the Met Office so I see this all the time. Gets boring really quickly.

Cheers

Ian

Have you installed windows in the Met Office  yet............ :evil: ............ :grin:

I have certainly found Ian's past postings regarding meteorological issues very interesting,  It's a topic I really must get to learn more about, in my copious free time :)

I read the article in the Mirror when it was originally published and recall thinking "Yeah, right.  I wonder what the Met Office actually said?  Or did you actually just ask some bloke with a bit of dried-up seaweed?"

Whilst the five-day forecast for my area on the Met Office site isn't always right and can change quite markedly over the course of even a day (and sometimes gets changed "after the fact", I've noticed :) one of the things I like about it is that it gives a confidence interval for rainfall.  I'd love to see more elements of the forecast given that kind of treatment.  I'd hazard a guess that much of the Met Office forecast when discussed internally is couched in terms of probabilities (unless of course the member of staff in question has also checked their own seaweed).

James

Archived