Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Star Adventurer

• 1 month later...

about 8 minutes, or a bit less than one worm period.

Fullscreen%2520capture%25207242014%25201

however i don't see why this level of guiding cannot be maintained indefinitely, since the periodic error is quite regular..

Fullscreen%2520capture%25207242014%25201

note that i no longer have the Star Adventurer.  I bought it for a lightweight portable mount, but it's too small for my 80mm refractor, so I'm using an EM11 now.  Much much heavier to be sure, but still in the realm of airline transportable. And with GoTo.

2" unguided requires very large worm wheels. My Mach1 is about 2.8" unguided before PEC.

The 28" figure for the Star Adventurer is very  good considering its price and provenance. My old CGEM was about 32" so this tiny mount is actually marginally more accurate than my particular CGEM.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Please can I request instructions for Polar Alignment of my "Skywatcher Star Adventurer". Unfortunately the instructions in the Manual are very difficult to understand. I have seen similar instructions for other mounts such as HEQ5 but they do not quite translate for the "Star Adventurer". Pictures would also be nice as would be details of an appropriate Polar Align APP. 

Aim the polar scope in a northerly direction and set the Dec to your location (look it up online if you don't know it).

Turn on the illuminator and look through the polar scope, loosen the RA clutch and rotate to get 6 at the bottom and lock.

Hopefully you should now be able to see Polaris through the polar scope, if not try moving the tripod legs slightly from side to side if you see a bright star it's probably Polaris.

Once you have it in the polar scope use an App to see where it should be on the clock face and adjust the Dec and RA adjusters to get it in the right spot.

Dave

If you have Stellarium on you computer you can zoom in with N at the bottom to see where Polaris is and put it at a diametrically opposite spot in you polar scope.

BTW welcome to SGL

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Ash79 said:

Hi I have just got A Star Adventurer has anyone got any good Advise for me ??

Wish I could help Ash79. Bit of a new starter with mine (used it twice since june!) :D
The dial on the back baffles me, even after reading the manual a good few times hahahaa
All I managed to do is, make sure Polaris is aligned through the Polar Finder using the Skywatcher App (SAM Console),
set up my intervalometer for 60 sec exposures & left it to do the hard work!
Another owner might be able to give you better knowledge in using this product.
Maybe give an insight in what you need to know? ;) 

• Like 1

Hi Ash and welcome to SGL, there are lots of threads on the SW SA like this one if you do a search.

Main requirement is a solid tripod and the dovetail bar.

Any specific questions ask away, lots of happy owners on here.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave I have a sky-watcher 130 telescope I can use the tripod from that really stable one

Its just setting it up like Slynxx said plus theres no clear nights here at the minute.

You need to spend a bit of time polar aligning and keep a check on it to see if Polaris is tracking nicely round the circle every so often, you can give it a little tweak if it starts wandering off,

this can be done without loosening the locks as long as you don't tighten them too hard to start with.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

6 minutes ago, Ash79 said:

Hi Dave I have a sky-watcher 130 telescope I can use the tripod from that really stable one

Its just setting it up like Slynxx said plus theres no clear nights here at the minute.

Hi Ash79

Found this video quite helpful in setting mine up. As Davey-T explained, the most important part is the alignment. Lookup SAM Console App for your phone. It certainly helped me out with alignment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, freiform said:

Dave, how heavy is the tele-lens (Canon 300 mm?)  in your first photo? I have a small refractor here (432/72) that results in a relatively rickety setup.

Sven

The camera plus lens is just over 2 Kilos, the Lunt solar scope is over 5 Kilos hence the extra counter weight.

Dave

Was bit cloudy the other night & after packing up twice, the clouds cleared enough for another quick setup & shoot.
No darks taken, just the light frames. Tried to stack using DSS but I have yet to this day got any decent results out of it, even when processing in Photoshop.
So here is 8 x 60sec frames of the Milky Way's core and trailing arms.

MW TIFF.jpg

Edited by Slynxx
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know some have posted on here previously, but can any users of the Skywatcher Star Adventurer advise me if there are any tripods under about £50 that will cope with the full Adventurer, plus EQ mount, plus Canon 550, plus lens??

Many thanks for feedback, just taken delivery of the Adventurer and want to get it working. The Tripod needs to be of manageable weight to take on holidays involving aircraft.

Alec