Narrowband

Skywatcher Star Adventurer

An illuminator is handy but not essential, you can just shine a red torch down the polar scope, you can also keep checking it during imaging and tweak it to keep Polaris in the circle.

You can autoguide  it shouldn't be necessary but useful just to check the unguided performance.

Dave

You can use a guide camera but I have never found it necessary, I've done over 15 minute exposures with a wide angle lens unguided and 90secs using 300mm lens.

I think the beauty of the SA is being very minimalist portable equipment so no point taking guiding equipment.

Dave

Done you a like as that 0 looks lonely.

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

If I go to a place where I cannot see the poles star(ie it's behind a tree)  but cassiopeia or Ursa major can be seen. I there a way to polar align the star adventurer in this situation? 

Edited by Nova2000

I bought the SA recently and had a first chance to use it last night.

I noticed that the altitude lock on the wedge does not seem to lock properly and I'm worried about over-tightening the lock in case of damage to the plastic lever. It's as if more shims are needed to make the slot a tighter fit. At the moment the lock doesn't seem to be strong enough to 'close' the supports to clamp tightly.

There is also a lot of backlash in the altitude control.

I'm wondering whether all the SAs are like this and I just need to get over it, or is mine faulty?

Thanks

Richard

Welcome to SGL Richard, lot's of SWSA owners here

I can still move mine up and down with the alt locked but this is in fact handy for tweaking it during imaging without loosening it, doesn't cause any problem.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

On 10/13/2016 at 14:06, Nova2000 said:

I will be placing the order for this mount and my first deep sky mount to use with my 55_250lens. Can you'll post a few images taken from this mount please. :hello:how long is the exposure with I connect the camera to the mount? Can I check the unguided tracking without an autoguider and just with PhD? 

Image taken with SWSA, Canon 700D, 75-300mm EF III lens. If I remember right each sub was a good few minutes long (unguided). I have reached easily 5 minute subs with using this setup mentioned. Good luck with yours & clear skies!

Milky Way 75mm Test - Result 1.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I can still move mine up and down with the alt locked but this is in fact handy for tweaking it during imaging without loosening it, doesn't cause any problem.

Dave

Many thanks for the comments. I happened to be passing FLO in Exeter this afternoon and popped in with the SA. A very helpful SteveB swapped the wedge out straightaway.

The replacement is much more positive in operation - working exactly as Dave describes above. Now down to business!

Richard

8 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

@Slynxx thanks for the image. Indeed the tracking seems to be great. What object is that? Milky way? 

Yes it's a an image of the Milkyway. Believe it to be below the summer triangle. Only been at this malarky since june (2016) when I got the SW SA . All were trials to learn the skills needed & also the processing techniques used.

Nice bit of kit, just waiting for a voltage controller from China so that I can make a dew shield heater for the Canon 550d. Then I'm set to leave it running in the garden. With the camera controlled with APT software.

I was thinking of getting one of these SA,best bet would to go to a retailer and take it out of the box to make sure everything tightens up ok ? would these mounts fit an eq5 tripod ? Thanks for any help !

I just bought one from FLO... this little thing really intrigued me... :)

My plan is to use it without a reflex, at least initially... ASi 178mm + canon lenses and RGB filters. Let's see how it goes... :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im thinking of buying this SW star adventurer.  ive read all the thread on the topic, so thanks to all, helpful info for me.  I saw a tripod Vebon DV7000 was recommended.  I have a Velbon Stratos 450 (purchased in thelate  1980's). I wondered if anyone knew whether mine was a baby compared to the DV7000, or mine was better.  The 450 has a head whichleavers upwards from horizontal - and has what looks like a 1/4" nut that slots from the bottom, which a tightening ring once the nut is screwed into the base of my DSLR Canon 1100D.  Should I buy the Velbon DV7000 tripod, will it be better than my current Velbon Stratos 450?

I saw a 19 minute video on the SWSA and the chap mentioned not to skimp on a ball head, to get one with a ball of at least 40 mm in diameter.

I dont know how these work until I see one in use.  But can someone recommended a decent ball head that is adequate for use on the SWSA. Or, is it not the SWSA that determines what ball head is needed, but instead, the camera and lens to be mounted? My camera canon 1100d and 18-55mm kit lens, and, a fairly lightweight Tamron 70-300mm f5.6 zoom lens.

I may not need the ball head in order to mount the camera - if I understand correctly, the camera could go on the L bracket which doesnt use a ball head, yes?  Is a ball head only needed when two cameras or one camera and a guider scope is added?

I have an Altair Astro 60mm finder guider, and qhy5Lii colour camera which feasibly could be  the guider system - IF I chose to try using it guided, which, by the thread, doesn't seem necessary. but its still an option from the kit ive got.

Thank you

Derek

Yep you pretty well have it there Derek - you only need a ball head if you're operating more than one bit of equipment on it. I would recommend getting an EQ5 or EQ6 tripod and an adaptor to mount it on rather than a photo tripod - much more stable and one less floating ball to slip and go wrong. If you want a look at a set up then pm me and we can arrange a meeting to get mine out and give it an airing over a cuppa. :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, derekorion said:

Im thinking of buying this SW star adventurer.  ive read all the thread on the topic, so thanks to all, helpful info for me.  I saw a tripod Vebon DV7000 was recommended.  I have a Velbon Stratos 450 (purchased in thelate  1980's). I wondered if anyone knew whether mine was a baby compared to the DV7000, or mine was better.  The 450 has a head whichleavers upwards from horizontal - and has what looks like a 1/4" nut that slots from the bottom, which a tightening ring once the nut is screwed into the base of my DSLR Canon 1100D.  Should I buy the Velbon DV7000 tripod, will it be better than my current Velbon Stratos 450?

I saw a 19 minute video on the SWSA and the chap mentioned not to skimp on a ball head, to get one with a ball of at least 40 mm in diameter.

I dont know how these work until I see one in use.  But can someone recommended a decent ball head that is adequate for use on the SWSA. Or, is it not the SWSA that determines what ball head is needed, but instead, the camera and lens to be mounted? My camera canon 1100d and 18-55mm kit lens, and, a fairly lightweight Tamron 70-300mm f5.6 zoom lens.

I may not need the ball head in order to mount the camera - if I understand correctly, the camera could go on the L bracket which doesnt use a ball head, yes?  Is a ball head only needed when two cameras or one camera and a guider scope is added?

I have an Altair Astro 60mm finder guider, and qhy5Lii colour camera which feasibly could be  the guider system - IF I chose to try using it guided, which, by the thread, doesn't seem necessary. but its still an option from the kit ive got.

Thank you

Derek

I use the Velbon DV7000 tripod which is still a bit minimal spec but works well as long as there is no wind.

On the ballhead question, if using the screw on the camera it gives you more aiming options as opposed to screwing to the supplied dovetail, if using a telephoto lens with the lens fitted to the dovetail you can rotate the camera on the lens clamp to get more framing options but still not as flexible as a ballhead, having said that I actually don't use a ballhead.

Dave

• Like 1

bit of an update as to the potential of the Star Adventurer. I took this image with my William Optics Zenithstar 71 mounted on the SA with my Canon 700d + x0.8 Reducer/Flattener.
30x60sec exposures used, darks & bias. No flats. This was only Polar Aligned with no guiding.
Considering the weight on the mount, it really can do some amazing work.

Autosave_Copy_ABE - 2 - Sig JPG.jpg

• Like 11

What an excellent result - well done!

I have a TS 65 that I was thinking about using with the Star Adventurer and my ASI1600MM - Cool

I'm a bit concerned about the weight on the camera tripod I have - its very sturdy but it isnt' a NEQ-6 LOL

I could potentially get some interesting results with this combo if I risk it tipping over 

Well done blazing this trail with the Star Adventurer :-)

David

On 11/15/2016 at 11:18, David_L said:

What an excellent result - well done!

I have a TS 65 that I was thinking about using with the Star Adventurer and my ASI1600MM - Cool

I'm a bit concerned about the weight on the camera tripod I have - its very sturdy but it isnt' a NEQ-6 LOL

I could potentially get some interesting results with this combo if I risk it tipping over 

Well done blazing this trail with the Star Adventurer :-)

David

Thanks David. I had to discard half the images do to a rise & fall to the images being taken. The stars would basically move up & down in certain images, leaving me with only 30 x 60sec exposures. I'm speaking with a friend who Hyper Tunes & need to send him a few subs to show him the pattern. Hopefully limiting the bad frames somewhat. Fingers X