Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vango Icarus 400

I pick one of these tents up today, my last 2 tents have ended up being thrown away after wind and rain turned them into a useless thing

these icarus tents have a very good reputation, should be ideal for my star party needs, i found a new unused one on preloved for a fair price

Looks ideal. There are some favourable reviews of it as well on the internet.

It was the good reviews that made me go for this model, all very good, just got back from collecting said tent, as described, never been used so i should be a happy camper

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Have recently had the privilege of assisting two SGL members erect these Vango tents.

Both tents suffer from the zips because the tent material is very lightweight.

It is important when opening or closing the tent that the material is kept well clear of the zip.

One member erected his brand new never used before Vango tent on a Friday night at a star party and the zip broke Saturday morning.

He is returning the tent to the camping shop.

The other member tripped on entering his tent resulting in a tear to the material around the door.

Vango produced a sturdy mountain tent about 25 years ago based on the A-frame structure, it was coloured orange.

The build quality was of a far higher specification than the current Vango tents.

Vango tents are reasonably priced tents that are suitable for star parties in the milder months of the years.

Trust the above proves helpful.

Cheers

Adrian

Well my Icarus I got for SGL6 is still going (each a week):

* SGL6 loads of rain & sun

* SGL7 bathed in UV from the hot days (first year with canopy)

* SGL8 40mph winds and rain with -15 wind chill.. My windbreak now has 1 ft long screws because of this!

* SGL9 thunderstorm, rain.. more rain.. 

Plus various camping weekends..  I did apply water proofing and waterproof to the seams before SGL9 because the heavy winds in SGL8 did stretch the seams a little. 

The only negative I have with Vango tents are that the zips are always on a slope, so if you open after rain or in rain the water will drop inside. We got the extension canopy that really helps this - we put the cooking gear in there, we use an Outwell Oaklands XL carpet (rather than icarus) that fits with a little extra at the edges. Also we have a second ground sheet under the tent and for the canopy.

Way back in SGL6...
post-22611-133877560761_thumb.jpg
The nice thing is everything fits into the roof box.. so we turn up and don't have to open the boot much when setting up in the rain :)

Immaterial of everything said probably best to treat the main tend and seams whenever it is suitable or convenient to do so. Heard people say they have not treated theirs and no leaks so far but why wait until a leak to occur which by definition has to be when the weather is foul and so you are then in a leaky tent.

Immaterial of everything said probably best to treat the main tend and seams whenever it is suitable or convenient to do so. Heard people say they have not treated theirs and no leaks so far but why wait until a leak to occur which by definition has to be when the weather is foul and so you are then in a leaky tent.

What does that involve? Should probably do mine at some point.

I have a Vango and it has a little porch over the side door which is very handy in wet weather. The canopy also helps as it covers the main sloping entrance, avoiding similar issues in the wet.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never treated mine. I suppose it could be done by spraying some tent waterproofing spray or melting hot wax. I remember camping at York. There were huge clouds rolling in and matey next door got out a huge brush and tin and painted his tent,

Nick.

I just used seam sealant the first time I used it. It's applied on the inside of the seal. Left for the morning in the sun at SGL6 and it was dry.

I certainly wouldn't attempt to fabsil then use the tent.. it will need a good sunlight to dry but 12-24 hours before you can live in.. apply it - the fumes are everywhere. 

Just for info - here's the canopy at the peaks star party..

post-9952-0-87591900-1401811968_thumb.jp

• 6 months later...

Archived