Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

oaCapture for OSX

JamesF

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you want feedback here James or by pm?

Either is fine, I'm sure.

I'm making some progress on the issues raised by Nick and I now have a package that looks like it will work properly if distributed as a .dmg and can be just dropped into the Applications folder.

It does look like there are issues with running the binaries on Mountain Lion and probably earlier releases too.  I'm working on finding some way to test that.  It looks like I can potentially run them in a virtual machine and both Mountain Lion and Lion are hardly hideously expensive to buy a licence for to keep things above board.

James

Working on Macbook air, mavericks with asi 120 mc.

The preview image is very glitchy and the very limited screen size means it would be good if the controls at the top of screen could be dragged up or resized.

well done though!

Well that's excellent news.  I wonder if twiddling with the USB traffic slider might help with the preview.

I have had thoughts about allowing the controls to be moved around the screen to allow them to work on small displays.  In a moment of madness I even thought about allowing the controls to be made transparent and have them overlap the preview image.  I had to have quite a long sit down to recover after that though :D

James

I've just discovered that I may be able to build Mountain Lion-compatible binaries by linking with the 10.8 SDK assuming that works for me the same as it does for people doing things the way Apple believes they should.  I'll give that a try shortly.  If that does work though, I might also pull the 10.6 and 10.7 SDKs from an earlier version of Xcode and see if they also work.  It would be good to have a single binary that stood a chance of working on all 64-bit machines from 10.6 on.  I've read some web pages suggesting it will, but the method for doing so is unclear to me at the moment.

James

• 6 months later...

Dear JamesF, I just wanted to let you know that I tested the oaCapture v.0.1.1 on MacBook Air with OSX 10.10.1 using Celestron Skyris 445 (both color and monochrome versions). None of those works. I get "Unable to connect camera" dialog both on startup and or Rescan from the Device menu. The camera, however, is listed in the Device menu as "(UVC) SKYRIS 445C". I also tried my old QHY5 monochrome version which seems to work. With Skyris I also tried older versions of oaCapture that are available or openastroproject.org but with no luck.

If there is anything I can do to help you with debugging please let me know.

Ondrej

Unfortunately I have never had a Skyris camera to test with and Yosemite is painfully slow on my Mac Mini 3,1 :(  I might make my MacBook Pro dual boot Mavericks and Yosemite instead.

If the camera is recognised as a UVC camera that's a good start.  I guess there may be some firmware differences that mean it won't work with the existing version of libuvc or something like that.  The Imaging Source cameras on which (some of, at least) the Skyris cameras are based need a few tweaks in the code specifically to make them work which may be wrong for the later cameras.

It might be worth running the application from a terminal window.  If you start a terminal session and then run /Applications/oaCapture.app/Contents/MacOS/oaCapture there may well be output in the terminal window which sheds light on the problem and we can take things from there.

James

Dear James, I did as you suggested. On launch of the program I get the following:

No suitable video format found on SKYRIS 445Clibpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

After clicking the "OK" button in the "Unable to connect camera" dialog I get:

2014-12-15 09:29:32.607 oaCapture[33043:3624708] modalSession has been exited prematurely - check for a reentrant call to endModalSession:

Ondrej

Ah,  that's interesting.  Looks like the camera may report a video format that I don't recognise in the UVC driver.  I'm guessing they'll be 16-bit formats, either greyscale or bayer format.  I'll try to find out what format it is (and whether it's big-endian or little-endian).

James

I am not sure whether it is related, but in the manual to iCap software, delivered with Skyris cameras for Windows, it is written that Y800 codec is recommended for monochrome and RGB32 for color versions of the camera, respectively.

Ondrej

That's interesting.  The code should handle Y800 ok for mono cameras, but I had no idea the colour ones might produce RGB32.  That may be a change that's been made with the Skyris cameras perhaps.  When I wrote the code I could only test it on Imaging Source cameras and they return raw colour frames, not RGB.  It's also quite confusing because as far as I'm aware the cameras are supposed to produce 12-bit ouput, so Y800 would definitely be throwing data away.  Or it could just be that iCap only writes 8-bit video and the camera reports a completely different set of capabilities.  Or perhaps it's a completely different problem in my code altogether :)

Without access to mono and colour cameras (which I am going to try to arrange) I might have to try to fix this with some educated guesswork, but I have asked someone who should either know or be able to find out the definitive answer.

If I built a version of the next release (still being tested) with some debug code in to display the formats reported by the camera, would you be able to download that and tell me what it reports?  I'd prefer to delay the next release by a few days and get this fixed if possible rather than have to wait until the following release.

James

Yes, the Skyris cameras are supposed to be 12-bit, though in the limited time I had I could only get 8-bit output with iCap but maybe I did something wrong.

Anyway, I am ready to test anything you wish.

Ondrej

Ok, I'll try to get something built later today and let you have a download link.  If anyone with a mono Skyris camera can help similarly (I think yours is colour, Ondrej?), please let me know.

James

I've PMed you a link to a test version that should hopefully display which video formats the camera claims to support (mono and colour versions should almost certainly be different).  If you could let me know what happens in each case that would be most helpful.

Thanks,

James

So I tried the latest version and it still doesn't work for me.

Here are the camera I tested and the results :

Sony XCD-U100CR : no preview. I can try changing the frame rate but the FPS (actual) always saus 0

Flea2 (FL2-08S2M-C) : I have an image in 640x480 but as soon as I tried to change resolution .. nothing any more (same as above for the FPS). Returning to 640x480 didn't make it work again.
I know these 2 above work with libcd1394 as they work fine in my own application.
I also tried a TIS DMK 21AF04.AS and got various result and changing any setting just blocks the app.
I might download the source code and check why this is happening but there is still definitely a lot of issue with FireWire IIDC camera (this is not a critic as I know how much it takes to get this working :) ).
Rodolphe

• 1 month later...

Hi James, Skyris 274 has arrived courtesy of FLO, so all set to give it a try on Mac Book Pro Late 2012.

Have you got a link to something that might work :)

Dave

Is that colour or mono, Dave?

James

Archived