Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

oaCapture for OSX

JamesF

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I try to record I get a message with yellow triangle saying unable to create file for output.

Do I need to install a driver for the camera ? the Mac won't read the Windows disk.

Also had to force quit to close it.

When started up it says  Skyris274 connected and lists Skyris 274M as USB Device but no light on camera

Dave

When I try to record I get a message with yellow triangle saying unable to create file for output.

Do I need to install a driver for the camera ? the Mac won't read the Windows disk.

Also had to force quit to close it.

When started up it says  Skyris274 connected and lists Skyris 274M as USB Device but no light on camera

Dave

If it's unable to create a file for output I'd guess the default location is perhaps not one that's writable.  You can change the default location using the icon with a folder and a plus sign if required.

You shouldn't need to install a driver at all.  It's a UVC camera and the application has its own UVC interface library.

I'm not aware that there is a light on the camera.

Which release of OSX are you using?

James

Don't know why I thought there was a light on the camera :)

OSX 10.9.5

Made new folder but it still won't start recording, but no error message.

I didn't see the new folder option because the oaCapture window is too wide for the screen (13") is there any way to make it narrower, i can make it wider but not narrower.

Dave

I have a 2013 MBP running 10.9.5 and it seems to be working there, though it does appear to take a while to initialise sometimes (though not always).  Not sure why that would be.  I'll investigate.

If the application is hanging when you quit then it might be worth trying to disconnect the camera first.  I'm not sure why that would make a difference, but if it does it might help debug the problem.

Small screens are something of a problem.  I've not worked out what's best to do in that situation yet.  I did think of overlaying the controls on the image with some degree of transparency, but it's also occurred to me that I could just allow them to be in a separate window meaning that the two can be managed separately.  That seems like a reasonable approach.  I'll give it a whirl.

James

Will try it, the size thing seems to be because it opens like a widescreen a couple of clicks on the green button resizes it to fit the screen.

Dave

Am now progressing a bit further, get a black preview screen now and a message saying

"Unable to create a file for output"

Created a new folder on the desktop so i could find it but the program can't see it.

May be doing something wrong as not familiar with the workings of the Mac

Dave

Just tried it again and it worked, don't think I did anything different :)

Just need the Sun to appear now for a real test

Dave

Jolly.  Everyone's favourite sort of bug :(  Let me know how you get on.  I'm into coding v0.3.0 now and I'll do some more work on the Skyris cameras for that.

James

When it goes wrong it posts up reams of problem pages, don't know if these would be any help but there doesn't seem to be any way to save them, it only volunteers to send them to Apple :)

Dave

Could it be a problem recognising the camera, ? sometimes it starts in about 5 sec's other times it takes about 30sec's

When it goes wrong it posts up reams of problem pages, don't know if these would be any help but there doesn't seem to be any way to save them, it only volunteers to send them to Apple :)

Dave

Could it be a problem recognising the camera, ? sometimes it starts in about 5 sec's other times it takes about 30sec's

I've no idea how to save them, but perhaps if I can replicate the problem I might be able to see them myself.  I can at least work on the slow initialisation of the camera.  That may give some more pointers as to the underlying cause.

James

Hi James,

Working today, the ROI settings are still greyed out so I can't change them but the "Save" button in settings has come to life :)

Don't know if you want / need suggestions but a pause button between the start / stop buttons ala Firecapture would be useful for Solar imagers for when the clouds fly by.

If the Sun puts in an appearance I will try a real life go, peeing down and blowing a gale ATM

Dave

Looks like there's definitely some sort of random bug in there then :(  I'll see if I can compare the behaviour of the 273M with one of the TIS USB cameras.  In theory they should use exactly the same code.

James

Where's the command line on the Mac ?

Just been playing around with it in Windows on the Mac Bootcamp partition and a seperate Win laptop and it doesn't work too well in iCap, various buttons greyed out, can't change the destination folder.

If I select the Imaging Source tab in Firecapture it works OK  after asking for the codec to be changed to Y800.

Dave

There's two places:

* Terminal  - an xterm terminal

* Console - the system logs..

I mean the former, in case it's not clear.  Assuming you installed the application in the main applications folder, from the command prompt you should run:

$ /Applications/oaCapture.app/Contents/MacOS/oaCapture

James

I've tried and tried and tried, but I just can't get a similar failure on my MBP running 10.9.5 with the recent security update installed.

I'm starting to wonder if it's something to do with the speed of the machine or the USB interfaces.  I'll set things up so I can have a try on my macmini.  Does your MBP have USB3 or just USB2?  Perhaps we can discount that one quickly.

James

Archived