NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

R5 or R6?

Registax 5 is far easier to use.  Registax 6 has some good features but it is likely to cause problems for the beginner - especially for .avi's that have any amount of image drift in them (when it is prone to give the "crazy paving" effect).

I must admit I now use Registax 5 for full disc DSLR images of the Sun and Moon but use Autostakkert2 for any "movies".

The only downside to AS2 is that it does not have its own wavelets function..  So I stack in AS2 and then use the wavelets in Registax6 - (sometimes even the "linked wavelets" function but this can be tricky to use).  All the above are freeware.

Additionally there is "PIPP" that is very useful for pre-processing full disc images (again freeware).

i have both and also not really sure of the difference. the wavelet function is obviously different, but i have never really taken the time to investigate it throughly it certainly looks more indepth than R5.

i have used AS2 but i am not sure whether i like or not. i have not been totally impressed by the end results, lots use it though so its probably more about me than the prgramme!

I have AS!2, Registax v5 and Registax v6 installed.  For planetary imaging I use AS!2 for stacking and Registax v6 for wavelets.  For lunar/solar full disc I use Registax v6 and then have another go with v5 if v6 fails to do the job well enough.

James

Archived