Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh well...it's a start...sort of...maybe(?)

northcanadian

Hi all: 

I had my first experience with Mars last night.  It sure seems small and was wobbling like a blob of jelly.  Used a 9.25 sct, dbk21 and powermate 2.5x.  Believe was about 2000 of 3100 frames at 30 fps. Ran thru pipp and r5.  I did have a task trying to focus and all.

Thanks for looking

Roger

post-2315-0-66493100-1398291537_thumb.jp

I have the same setup Roger and the settings I use are red 6, blue 45 which will give you a salmon pink Mars and good whites and gain set at say 800. You can get away with a half histogram and try for a higher F ratio (seeing permitting) say F30-F40 to tease out the detail. Drop the gamma to 70% (back to 100% for imaging) which will increase the contrast and let you focus by eye fairly well on a dark feature or polar cap. I usually run for about 3.5 minutes as Mars rotates slowly and stack 20-25% of frames. This works for me so I hope that you may find it helpful :)

A good effort Roger! Mars is not easy to focus on when wobbling like a jelly - all to prevalent for me this apparition as well! Great advice from Alan re DBK21 - I have one of these also and may give it a go as well!

Best regards,

Ralph

Mars seems pretty hard to focus at all at the moment.

The colour balance is definitely a bit squiffy, but if you play with the histogram tool in Registax I'm sure that can be put right.

James

A very good first go with Mars Roger.  I hope you don't mind, but I had a go at improving the colour balance on your image. I used PS7 and played with curves, colour balance and a few other things as well as cropping the image a little tighter.

post-21511-0-88585800-1398546194_thumb.p

Archived