NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR

Hi Phil

Only just got started in astrophotography myself.

I'm using an unmodded Canon EOS 60d that I bought for the wife.

13949798111_6c1423e2c2.jpg24-240-M81-82+25sat_filtered by garymaddocks, on Flickr

Seems to perform ok for a camera that can be used for stars and landscapes.

I'm sure the more experienced imagers can tell you more.

I will be going over to CCD at some point, but this is ok for me to begin with.

Canon seems to be the best for Astro Photography

if you want a modded one you can buy second hand or new modified cameras from here http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html

I have the 600D and I'm very happy with it, bought it modded for day and Astro use

I used this Company to get a Modded 600D, very good camera for AP....

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could recommend a DSLR for AP, and would it need to be modified in any way for me to use?

Thanks

Phil

Depending on what you want. An Astro modified Canon 600D from Cheapastrophotography is good bang for buck. As you can also use it for planetary imaging.

If you want to use it for Daytime photography a lot as well, get the Baader filter modified Version. If it's dedicated for Astrophotography, get the Astro modified Version.

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html

Depending on what you want. An Astro modified Canon 600D from Cheapastrophotography is good bang for buck. As you can also use it for planetary imaging.

If you want to use it for Daytime photography a lot as well, get the Baader filter modified Version. If it's dedicated for Astrophotography, get the Astro modified Version.

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html

Just the Astro Modded 600D will work in Daylight, this is the text Juan sent with the Camera......

If you want to use the camera for occasional daylight photography, please use auto white balance and setk (WB SHIFT/BKT ) to B9G9 in the camera's menu. I have increased slightly those values so it will cover most typical daytime light conditions. When you want to use the camera for astrophotography, you can set the parameter backt to B0G0 and WB to daylight.
It is also advised to use the camera in AV mode for daylight use (as 90% of photographers do). Please notice that any other white balance setting: daylight, tungsten, etc will produce pictures with the typical tinge of astromodified cameras.
This white balance correction works well in daylight photography. If you want to use the flash, you will have to call it via the external flash button in the camera. Otherwise, the camera will ignore your selection of white balance to AWB and it will change automatically the setting.
There is a situation where the auto-correction does not work well, though. This is during non-astronomical photography at night in artificial tungsten illumination. For those situations, it is advised that a custom white balance is taken. The same white balance can always be used under those circumstances. 
The LP1 anti-aliasing filter (AAF) in your camera has been retained. Please remember to keep the setting 'autoclean' to 'disable' when using it for astrophotography in order to avoid the camera messing with your flat frames 
( the optical train changes slightly when the AA filter shakes in order to clean the camera, thus voiding your flat frames for the night).
Here's a picture not a bright day but it works....
007SCOPE_OBBYVIEW.jpg

Another recommendation for the Canon EOS 1100D

Mine is modified, another customer of Juan at cheapastrophotography (great customer service), but there are other suppliers.

I use BackYardEOS as well.

Only thing I would say is decide if you want modded or un-modded.

You can get it done afterwards, I think the price is around £85.

Try and price up the difference and see if just getting a modded straight off is a better price.

DON'T be put off with a non-modded one. It will work just fine (with the benefits of daytime use)

I think comparisons between them is another topic all together.

Good luck with your purchase.

Neil

I have the canon 650D great camera but for me liveview is a must and a flip screen is handy too, i used to use a bat mask but can now get better focus with just the inbuilt screen at 10x zoom focussing on the faintest star in the FOV.

Alan

I have the canon 650D great camera but for me liveview is a must and a flip screen is handy too, i used to use a bat mask but can now get better focus with just the inbuilt screen at 10x zoom focussing on the faintest star in the FOV.

Alan

I agree fully, I made a Bahtinov mask and have only used it once, eyeballing it on the rear LCD at 10x is a lot easier. I even paid for the full version of APT to allow auto focus, and after about 5 minutes of it doing its thing it came out exactly the same as it did after 15 seconds of me doing it myself manually. The touch screen of the 650D is also quite handy.

As above but I put live view and a flip out screen as my top plus points of my 600D. It saves visiting your chiropractor to sort your neck out! The bundled software with Canons is fine for me (EOS utilities) but I'm aware BYEOS has advantages over this. I think it costs £25? The 600 D is particularly low noise I believe.

Another recommendation for the Canon EOS 1100D

Mine is modified, another customer of Juan at cheapastrophotography (great customer service), but there are other suppliers.

I use BackYardEOS as well.

Only thing I would say is decide if you want modded or un-modded.

You can get it done afterwards, I think the price is around £85.

Try and price up the difference and see if just getting a modded straight off is a better price.

DON'T be put off with a non-modded one. It will work just fine (with the benefits of daytime use)

I think comparisons between them is another topic all together.

Good luck with your purchase.

Neil

Thanks Neil! very good advice, I think I will go for the un-modded and take it from there, and probably the Canon 1100D also. Thanks to everyone who has chipped in with advice, very much appreciated. Cheers

Phil

Archived