NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

If only....

Mav359

I remember in my teens looking up and seeing thousands of stars even some galaxy's
well 30 years later in the same house I'm lucky to see the main stars in Orion
I used to be on the very edge of the town now they have built a motorway 200 yards from my home and a technology park
on the other side of that and a new housing scheme behind that

Recent studies have shown that constant exposure to light, even the lower levels of light in housing areas are detrimental to life-forms.

Apparently, evolution does NOT like developers.

My feelings on the ruining of our sky is unprintable on this forum...although I can say it involves very nasty thoughts. :)

Seeing Earth from the moon is  a double edged sword - as when the Earth is dark, the moon is lit and when the Earth is lit, you can't see the sky anyway (it'd be like a full moon!!).

I think I'd like to live in the shadow of a large crater so that I could see Earth when I got homesick.

Oh to live on the far side of the Moon.

I would actually rather see the night sky from the lunar far side, than see Earth from space.

Seeing Earth from the moon is  a double edged sword - as when the Earth is dark, the moon is lit and when the Earth is lit, you can't see the sky anyway (it'd be like a full moon!!).

I think I'd like to live in the shadow of a large crater so that I could see Earth when I got homesick.

I think turning all the lights off might be easier :grin:

Time machine - to go back before industrial revolution, I wonder how many moons of Jupiter would Galileo have seen from his back garden in London in today's time  :(

Or, where would science be now if we used our time machine to send Galileo a 16" Dob and left him to get on with it??? 

Paul

Seeing Earth from the moon is a double edged sword - as when the Earth is dark, the moon is lit and when the Earth is lit, you can't see the sky anyway (it'd be like a full moon!!).

However as there is no atmosphere on the moon to scatter the light, unless you were pointing your scope directly at the full-earth it would not matter. The only reason a full moon interferes with astronomy on earth is the atmosphere scattering all of the lunar light.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Archived