Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Next step up in Eyepieces

Sandraj

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:shocked: Gosh some of them are huge  :grin:

Are all the Maxvision inch and a quarter ?

The 24mm 68o on the right is an inch and a quarter, anything wider is 2-inch.

e.g. the 28mm 68o has a 2-inch fitting

and the 24mm 82o has a 2-inch fitting

Well, I certainly have a lot of info from this thread and find it very educational, thank you everyone for putting so much effort in trying to help me, I certainly understand a lot more now than I did before, I have read through each post many times and am still digesting the info, it's great to have so many well informed people sharing their thoughts to help new comers.

Thanks everyone  :happy7:

Well worth taking some time over these decisions - there are a lot of options available these days.

The reason that the eyepieces get large and heavy is because the glass elements required to produce a wide or ultra wide view while remaining relatively undistorted even in fast scopes, can be quite large and there are quite a number needed - typically 7 or 8 lenses in an 82 degree eyepiece. The physical size of the field of view is constrained by an aperture within the eyepiece called a field stop. The diameter of the field stop is in turn constrained by the internal diameter of the eyepiece barrel so a 2" size is required to deliver an 82 degree field of view when the focal length of the eyepiece creeps above around 18mm.   

Below is the light path through a Nagler 82 degree eyepiece (the eye position is to the right of the diagram). As you can see these are complex optical designs, much more so than the scope in fact. Your views will only be as good as the weakest part of your optical system so eyepieces do need to be well designed and made. Fortunately, today, most of them are  :smiley:

post-118-0-23033600-1397636301.gif

Well worth taking some time over these decisions - there are a lot of options available these days.

The reason that the eyepieces get large and heavy is because the glass elements required to produce a wide or ultra wide view while remaining relatively undistorted even in fast scopes, can be quite large and there are quite a number needed - typically 7 or 8 lenses in an 82 degree eyepiece. The physical size of the field of view is constrained by an aperture within the eyepiece called a field stop. The diameter of the field stop is in turn constrained by the internal diameter of the eyepiece barrel so a 2" size is required to deliver an 82 degree field of view when the focal length of the eyepiece creeps above around 18mm.   

Below is the light path through a Nagler 82 degree eyepiece (the eye position is to the right of the diagram). As you can see these are complex optical designs, much more so than the scope in fact. Your views will only be as good as the weakest part of your optical system so eyepieces do need to be well designed and made. Fortunately, today, most of them are  :smiley:

Thanks John and everyone for your help.

I have just purchased the Televue 30mm and 8mm Plossl, next will be 2 more in the range and then the remaining to complete my set, I will however be keeping my eye out for one of the wide view Televue Panoptic or similar and I should be well set for a long time  :smiley:  Just can't wait for them to arrive now and try them out. Glad I finally made the choice, I have taken ages trying to decide which would be best.

The TV 8mm plossl is a fine eyepiece had some great views with mine - however you might find it a bit of a challenge, as the eye relief is tight. If i'm honest, it would not be my first recommendation. 

andrew

The TV 8mm plossl is a fine eyepiece had some great views with mine - however you might find it a bit of a challenge, as the eye relief is tight. If i'm honest, it would not be my first recommendation. 

andrew

I did wonder about that but as my 10mm that came with the scope doesn't bother me much at all, I am hoping the 8mm won't be to difficult for me to get on with. (cross fingers lol)

I reckon you'll be ok. I've been using Orthos down to 5mm recently and they are quite manageable. The Plossl is not too dissimilar in eye relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using a 9mm Revelation last night with no problems.

The eye relief was good enough, it's what I am used to.

With nice clear sharp views on the planets (Juptier, Mars and Saturn at 130x), the 9mm has served me well over the years.

If the Plossls had more than 52-degrees, they would still be my main weapon of choice today.

Enjoy the TV's, they should be a huge improvement.

Thanks John and everyone for your help.

I have just purchased the Televue 30mm and 8mm Plossl, next will be 2 more in the range and then the remaining to complete my set, I will however be keeping my eye out for one of the wide view Televue Panoptic or similar and I should be well set for a long time  :smiley:  Just can't wait for them to arrive now and try them out. Glad I finally made the choice, I have taken ages trying to decide which would be best.

Congratulations on your choice Sandra.

No doubt you can be rest assured the optics you have bought will not beholding back anything in your scope, no doubt you will enjoy them.

The eye relief and comfort you'll find in time how much you like it no doubt in the 8mm. I have a 5mm ortho which is also very tight, I have used it so much now in the last month, last night I was thinking it almost felt as if I had room to spare, I am getting so used to it now hugging the eyepiece like my favourite granny :grin: , it actually bothers me less and less. Not that I would complain when I put one of my wider FOVs long eye relief eyepieces in the scope mind you, it for sure is nice, particularly at highest mags when more frequent nudging is needed with narrower FOVs, a wide FOV is relaxing in that sense to allow you to concentrate more and let the target drift longer  :smiley:

Who knows in future and when you get your long eye relief eyepieces and wider FOV you may learn to love them and get the bug.  Even if you do not wear glasses, long eye relief is a nice comfort,  and wider FOV a nice luxury but for most targets not essential in your scope at the focal length that it is, but case in point, John here, 30 years or more experience, he loves swimming in a 100 degree FOV with long eye relief eyepieces :grin:

I did wonder about that but as my 10mm that came with the scope doesn't bother me much at all, I am hoping the 8mm won't be to difficult for me to get on with. (cross fingers lol)

I did have my worries too, but after having used it for a month or so, it's absolutely fine. It'll be horses for courses I'm sure, as there'll be some who won't get on with the eye relief. I imagine it might be difficult if you had to wear glasses, but big thumbs up here.

It might be worth going back over this thread before plonking down any cash.

Qualia, as usual, very eloquently set out  an often traveled path which culminates in Tele Vue and / or Pentax investments. 

I've sometimes wondered if you could build some sort of cost v's benefit analysis that demonstrates that, perverse though it may seem, taking the small steps approach actually costs more in the long term than investing in premium from the start as well as giving you the confidence that your scope, any any you may own in the future, will be delivering the very best performance that the conditions allow.

Yes and no.  :smiley:

Personally, I'm done now. Or at least, for the foreseeable future (10+ years at least!). I've bought what I can afford and I'm not worried that I'm in some way missing out because I don't have a sparkly box of delos or ethos EPs. So I've no cost vs benefit analysis to do.  :embarrassed:

However, where plossls are concerned I'd advise spending a little more if possible and get the 2nd hand TVs.  :grin:

Sandraj.......Hi, Most in the know, would say that the the TeleVue Ep,s are the best! I've never tried one, and I'm not sure everyone here at SGL has, or we'd all be using them, maybe? but to me, it's a bit like saying my Rolex is better than any one of my digital watches? is that because of the final  image, the cost, the price or the build quality. The Rolex is less accurate, being a mechanical timepiece, yet costing 45x more than the digital, that doesn't make it better!

The image from your eyepiece is only as good as the optics that precedes it (size and set-up?) If the telescope set-up isn't 100% then no eyepiece will improve the final image of an already poor set-up. The bigger the Objective/Aperture, the better, for brightness and image scale at the focal point, allowing greater detail to be seen through the eyepiece,

Its a fact that everyone's eyes are different, and one EP that suits one person, clearly, may-not fit the next person.

There is often the comment of "try it before you buy it", That is sometimes an issue (it was for me! ) if you don't attend or join some sort of astro club or society. The BST's, you mentioned in your original post could have been tested, as Alan would want you to ensure that they suited your eyes first. If they didn't, you returned them for a no quibble full refund. They would have worked fine on your 150P. Wouldn't it be great if more eyepiece retailers could offer the same level of service. That way, you could buy the lenses your interested in,  returning  them if they don't work in your scope or suit your eyes?

Your new lenses will arrive soon, so that you can test them out. There has been some excellent advice here, as is normal, I just wonder, if you`ll ever wonder, if some of the highly recommended 'other' lenses would have worked as just as well,  and at a lower cost maybe. 

Clear Skies to you.

Yes and no.  :smiley:

Personally, I'm done now. Or at least, for the foreseeable future (10+ years at least!). I've bought what I can afford and I'm not worried that I'm in some way missing out because I don't have a sparkly box of delos or ethos EPs. So I've no cost vs benefit analysis to do.  :embarrassed:

However, where plossls are concerned I'd advise spending a little more if possible and get the 2nd hand TVs.  :grin:

My comment was intended for Sandraj.

I realise you have got where you want to be with eyepieces now Ben :smiley:  

Oh may as well do a little update, seeing as the thread is not completely dead, also, it may be helpful for anyone in a similar position to myself...

I have had the TV 32 and 8mm Plossl since last Thursday and have been able to go out every night since, I adore the views through them, the 32mm is easy on the eye and provides wonderful views, the 8mm gave me the best views of Mars and Saturn so far, I have a cheap Barlow here (Seben) and used it in the 32mm to try it out and it was brilliant, yet in the stock 25 and 10mm it was terrible, thought I would have to bin it and buy another make. 

I intend to get more TV Plossl, and will have my eye out later on for some second hand TV wider field. I have also bought but they have not arrived yet the Maxvision 68* 24 and 16*mm.

You should be very happy indeed with the Maxvisions.  :smiley:

My comment was intended for Sandraj.

I realise you have got where you want to be with eyepieces now Ben :smiley:  

Mine was too!  :grin: I just didn't want her to think should wouldn't be perfectly happy with the eyepieces she purchases if they're not top of the range TV or Pentax. I haven't wasted any money in the long run, because I've already finished.  :wink:

Oh may as well do a little update, seeing as the thread is not completely dead, also, it may be helpful for anyone in a similar position to myself...

I have had the TV 32 and 8mm Plossl since last Thursday and have been able to go out every night since, I adore the views through them, the 32mm is easy on the eye and provides wonderful views, the 8mm gave me the best views of Mars and Saturn so far, I have a cheap Barlow here (Seben) and used it in the 32mm to try it out and it was brilliant, yet in the stock 25 and 10mm it was terrible, thought I would have to bin it and buy another make. 

I intend to get more TV Plossl, and will have my eye out later on for some second hand TV wider field. I have also bought but they have not arrived yet the Maxvision 68* 24 and 16*mm.

In only 64# threads from asking to advising and  and then testing! see how easy and quickly you can get involved?

Nice one.....Clear skies

Thanks for the update - sounds very promising  :smiley:

The Maxvision 24mm should show just as much sky as the TV 32mm plossl so it will be interesting to see which you prefer. 

I would  be interested to hear too Sandra. Usually review comparisons are done by focal length, but one that has the around the same  FOV is also in interesting take also to see which you find preferable.  Good luck with them. :smiley:

It is great getting new eyepieces  and have clear skies to use them straight away. My recent pentax addition has had a fair amount of use already too, that is a first I recall buying an eyepiece that comes with a parcel of clear skies too. :grin:

Sandra congratulations on the TV EP's,they are keepers and will provide excellent views.

Archived