Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone Imaging With a 250PX(Successfully)?

Hi, I hope this is in the right place. I was looking for a "Getting started with imaging equipment subforum"  :grin:

I was hoping to image with this scope using a DSLR. I like the visual aspect of it but like a lot here I want to take it further.

Is anyone else doing it successfully?  If so what else would I need to do it?

Or am I barking up the wrong scope?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we talking about a dob here? What do you wish to image with your camera? If it's DSO's then the big problem you hit is that you need to track the movement of the object while exposing, which your dob doesn't do. You should be able to get some decent shots of the moon with it though.

Yes, please clarify which 250PX you have and how you have it mounted, the Skyliner Manual or Motarised Dobsonian or Explorer on an EQ mount?

Lunar shots with a DSLR are possible with the Manual Dob in point-and-shoot mode.

gallery_18573_1022_1338790544_16011.jpg

I mounted the same tube on an NEQ6 to see if I liked planetary imaging and found out it is not my cup of tea but it works okay if you can get the camera to focus. This is my best attempt, but I only had a quick go so could probably do better with a bit more time and effort. I have seen much better shots from others on EQ mounts and from the tracking Dobsonians.

gallery_5915_837_27400.jpg

It works very well for deep sky objects but is a bit of a windsail unless obsy mounted, so I have been holding off doing too much of that but here's the last test. This was on an NEQ6 guided with a QHY5 9x50 finderguider.

med_gallery_5915_426_10642.jpg

The weight of the OTA alone is 15kg before you have even put a camera or accessory near it. You are going to need one beast of a mount to image DSO's with it, an EQ6 will struggle.

If you are serious about imaging then I think you should stop and buy Steve Richards book "Making every photon count" and digest the contents then rethink how you are going to set out imaging.

I image successfully with one of these 'scopes and I am certainly not alone BUT the key to this is (as usual) the mount. You will need something like an (N)EQ6 equatorial mount to track well enough for the long exposures required for deep sky objects.<br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

I image successfully with one of these 'scopes and I am certainly not alone BUT the key to this is (as usual) the mount. You will need something like an (N)EQ6 equatorial mount to track well enough for the long exposures required for deep sky objects.<br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

So an NEQ6 and your book obviously, what else?

May be the book first...

Hi, I hope this is in the right place. I was looking for a "Getting started with imaging equipment subforum"  :grin:

I was hoping to image with this scope using a DSLR. I like the visual aspect of it but like a lot here I want to take it further.

Is anyone else doing it successfully?  If so what else would I need to do it?

Or am I barking up the wrong scope?

DOB is good for observing and with a bit of luck you get some shots of the Moon or the Planets using a sensitive webcam, DSOs will not yeild to a DOB. If you want DSO imaging get an EQ mount of somesort and an SW 130PDS and away you go, with regret there is no other way of doing it. BTW even for an experienced DSO imager a 250 is nightmare to guide and image with.

Regards,

A.G

So an NEQ6 and your book obviously, what else?

I couldn't possibly comment of the book :angel: but a coma corrector, guide camera and an off-axis guider (OAG) would most certainly be on my list if you have sufficient inwards focus travel. If inwards focus travel is an issue then you would have to consider a small guide 'scope like the SW ST80 instead of the OAG.

i have one on a motorised (non GOTO) DOB and i have to say, it is frustrating.  you can get some shots of bright objects, 10-15 second exposures.  I have no comment on whether it is worth putting on a EQ mount.  it will really require guiding, all extra weight.  

i am looking at putting a smaller scope on a smaller mount to see if AP is for me...

OK, I appreciate all your input. I've done some rethinking.

I really didn't want to have to have 2 scopes but it would seem that it is the best way if you wan to do visual and AP well. (it took me a while I know)

So.....

How does this sound? I like the idea of goto for the 250 and I would need a tracking mount anyway for AP.

May be for the AP scope a 130PDS or 150PDS?

Would a HEQ5 Pro fit the bill for both, just swap scopes as and when. Cheaper than the NEQ6 so it would release some funds for the AP scope.

The 250 OTA is 12.5kg (+ tube rings) with current finder and the HEQ5 pro is 15kg or 18kg limit depending on where you look.

Really hope this can work.

The 150pds on a heq5 would be a good imaging rig, with spare capacity to fit guiding kit too. I think you really would be pushing it to fit your 250 for visual if it were anything other than flat calm.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk

Oh, and it's not completely about weight capacity, yeah the heq5 can carry the weight you quoted. However, if you can imagine, a bid light scope would be affected by the wind more than a small heavy scope.... Quoting weight capacity is a bit misleading i'm affaid.

I have a 200PDS that sits atop an HEQ5Pro , but only for visual use .

By the time you've added a camera , guide-scope and guide camera it is right on the capacity limit , and needs an extended counter-weight bar in order to get balanced.

If you get a completely still night with no breeze then you can get a result , but the slightest bit of moving air will highlight just how much of a sail the big tube can be.

I very soon took advice and got an ED80 for imaging with and use the 200 for visual only , the eye/brain combination is more forgiving than a camera chip.

Oh, and it's not completely about weight capacity, yeah the heq5 can carry the weight you quoted. However, if you can imagine, a bid light scope would be affected by the wind more than a small heavy scope.... Quoting weight capacity is a bit misleading i'm affaid.

Is the wind much of an issue for visual then?

I've used a 250P on an NEQ6 Pro for observing and the problems with vibration and wind would make it so much bother for imaging it's just not worth it. If you have an obsy and a Mesu mount or Paramount then it's a different matter - a 250 scope would be fine - but you're talking about a lot of money.

If you have the budget then go for a 200PDS on an NEQ6 Pro, or a 150PDS on an HEQ5 Pro. Either config leaves a lot of weight capacity for guide scope and guide camera and all the associated mounting gear and cabling. If you really have to use the 250P then get a Celestron CGEM goto mount minimum, which will take up to 12" of aperture for your best chance in the mass commercial mounts.

You'll still need a windless night though. Hth :)

250 only for visual, imaging with it sounds more trouble than it's worth.

Was hoping to use the same goto mount for both scopes without going to the NEQ6 price tag.

Might have to keep the 250 as a dob...nudge nudge...and 150PDS with HEQ5 Pro at a later date.

Hello there :)

I have SW 8" dob synscan goto on alt-az and i use a simple canon 1100D unmodded.

Of course my exposure is limited to 30" but this scope is giving me a lot of satisfaction with AP in general.

Check my gallery for some sample :)

Many here says dobs are not good for DSOs but sometime going against the rules has is fascination :D

Hello there :)

I have SW 8" dob synscan goto on alt-az and i use a simple canon 1100D unmodded.

Of course my exposure is limited to 30" but this scope is giving me a lot of satisfaction with AP in general.

Check my gallery for some sample :)

Many here says dobs are not good for DSOs but sometime going against the rules has is fascination :D

Some nice pics there!

Archived