Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting somewhere - I hope!

Managed to grab a few minutes imaging last night before the clouds rolled in. Gradually getting used to using a ccd (qhy8l). My third go with it. The second go I posted elsewhere but was out of focus on one side. Anyway, here are just 7 x 60s subs of M3 stacked in dss, processed in StarTools:

post-33532-0-91437300-1395942142_thumb.j

It's a bit noisy maybe because I ran the camera at 0 deg rather than lower.

Obviously needs more photons but I'm otherwise not too unhappy with it.

Louise

Thanks, though it's not very good but, hey - early days! The atmosphere was far from transparent so guiding not good -> fuzzy stars :(. Yes, taken through my flat window with lots of lp. I don't have a lp filter for the qhy8l so have to process it out instead. Seem to be able to do that ok so wondering whether I can get away without an expensive filter. Of course, what I really need is clear, dark skies! In my dreams, I suppose.

Louise

Hi louise,

Well done, nice capture and I can see that you are coming along just fine with StarTools, I love this software and to be honest without it I would have given up a long time ago. You can reduce the star bloat by setting a starmask and then demasking the star cluster and  use the magic module to sort out the stars, use the same mask with the colour module and just gently increase the saturation to increase the star colour.

Regards,

A.G

Hi louise,

Well done, nice capture and I can see that you are coming along just fine with StarTools, I love this software and to be honest without it I would have given up a long time ago. You can reduce the star bloat by setting a starmask and then demasking the star cluster and  use the magic module to sort out the stars, use the same mask with the colour module and just gently increase the saturation to increase the star colour.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks! Not nearly enough integration time but that's Glasgow for you! Yes, I know it's possible to do more in Startools but not worth it for this image. In any case I actually prefer to minimise processing as it otherwise can easily become rather artificial. Just because it's possible doesn't mean I have to do it! I'm not sure quite where I lost the star colour. I suddenly noticed that rgb was aligned in the histogram - tried to fix it but couldn't :(. I'll have to have another look when I get the time.

Cheers

Louise

Archived