Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hyperstar Horsehead

AKB

Cracking night, last night (15-Dec-2017) although with temperatures a bit below freezing and gusty winds.  Having discovered that the spacing for my QHY8L on the Hyperstar was incorrect by 3mm :shocked: despite using the Starizona-supplied spacer, I'm now using the excellent Baader Universal Filter Cell to give me nearer to the correct spacing.  Still not quite there yet, though.

To check it all out I went for a number of targets for a relatively short time.  Here's my go at the Horsehead.

• Hyperstar 9.25" with Baader UFC and IDAS P2 filter
  • Avalon M-Uno guided and dithered with Nebulosity
  • 20 x 60 seconds
  • Processed in PI  (shhh... I'm still learning)

Haven't really got the hang of noise reduction, (and seems my bias or darks aren't handling a bad column) but really the answer is more data, and I suppose this isn't too bad for  just 20 minutes...

Advice more than welcome.

20171215_Horsehead-Hyperstar-QHY8L-20x60s.thumb.jpg.bbb68375855350d2e292abe461509a0f.jpg

20 minutes ago, triton1 said:

Excellent result looks natural trying to tame Alnitak is abit of a [removed word] though.

Thanks for that.  I haven’t done anything special to reduce Alnitak, except trying to be a bit careful with the stretch.  You can, at least, see that it is a double, which is the litmus test for me.  It should be improved by tidying the camera cables across the corrector plate and also getting the spacing and tilt exactly right.

Archived