Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar observing and scope size

DRT

Is there much to be gained from viewing the sun through a larger scope?

I have a 130p Flextube Dob - is that likely to give me great views of sun spots?

It would be much cheaper to add a filter to that scope than my other two.

130mm will give great views in white light.

Bigger apertures are more affected by seeing. I've seen it said that guys with both 150mm and 100mm Ha scopes get most usage out of the smaller one. On the rare occasions when the conditions are perfect the larger aperture delivers more resolution, but in "normal" use the smaller scope gets better views.

I have used a Baader solar film full aperture filter on both a 6" & 9.25", both scope give very satisfactory views of the Sun in white light. 

I use a Hershel wedge in my 70mm Pronto and the detail is clearer, this may be down to the wedge rather than aperture size :smiley:

my best solar scope is my 6"f11 on which I use a full aperture mask. your 130 will be good. make sure you use a shroud of some kind to prevent fires from off axis reflections. I oncelooked through a 100mm f10 frac with a herscel wedge and the views were really excellent. really crisp.

Thanks for the responses.

I am aware of the dangers of pointing this stuff and my eyes at the sun and one of the motivators behind my question is "which scope would I miss least if something went wrong?". The human scope is obviously bottom of that list but the 130p is very much at the top. I'll try that first.

As it is a flexitube, do I need to enclose the open part of the tube or is it sufficient to cover the end pointing at the sun?

I'd strongly urge a shroud for the open part of the tube. otherwise you are bound at some point to have the sun when off axis - say you walk away for a couple of minutes (which I'd not recommend anyway of course). off axis light will focus at about the top ring and act in the same was as a focused magnifying glass on paper.

see this thread

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/148838-off-axis-baader-film-and-fire-hazard/

Archived