NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It just gets Better - Sat 22nd Mega Supa Prom

Pig

I saw the sun peep out at 6:45 am So I  ran down stairs and put the scope out, I was a bit nippy in just my underpants :eek: so I ran even faster back up stairs and put my clothes on. (total time was 10 seconds :grin: )

I have just witnessed the biggest explosion I have seen thus far, a great big event that took about 2 minutes to develop (on the West tip)

It protruded out about twice as far as the big "drama queen" prom from yesterday

It  is in roughly the same place as the second huge one I saw yesterday that dissipated after a little while.

Is this normal for Solar observing or am I being lucky ?

Spoke too soon, the biggest greyest clouds I have seen this week are on their way over, well it was worth it for the few minutes it was visible :shocked:

I might as well get back into bed :laugh:

It seems that you were extremely lucky Shaun. You can observe for hours without seeing anything dramatic happen, or maybe weeks waiting to see something special. Solar observing can be quite frustrating sometimes.

Like some aspects of astronomy, with solar observing, timing is everything. If you look at the right time you get to see something spectacular.

It just so happens that at approx 7am there was a solar flare that almost reached M class. There seemed to be a simultaneous reaction on the west and east limb. AR2011 in the East showed massive flare activity, and on the west limb just by AR2013 there was what could be described as a large surge prom.

The whole event lasted only about 20 minutes, so in this event your timing was perfect.

It seems that you were extremely lucky Shaun. You can observe for hours without seeing anything dramatic happen, or maybe weeks waiting to see something special. Solar observing can be quite frustrating sometimes.

Like some aspects of astronomy, with solar observing, timing is everything. If you look at the right time you get to see something spectacular.

It just so happens that at approx 7am there was a solar flare that almost reached M class. There seemed to be a simultaneous reaction on the west and east limb. AR2011 in the East showed massive flare activity, and on the west limb just by AR2013 there was what could be described as a large surge prom.

The whole event lasted only about 20 minutes, so in this event your timing was perfect.

Excellent, I managed to catch both of them, the Sun is very active this morning.

I look a bit of a site, I am sat here on my ironing seat  wearing a black balaclava (built in sun peak of course) playing "Here Comes The Sun"  on my guitar, all whilst watching sun flares and mass solar ejections. Oh yes I am keeping my other eye on the rabbits running about the garden :laugh:

Now how is that for multitasking ?

You can relive the events that Pig has described by visiting the GONG Ha monitor page, select the Learmonth telescope image and click on the video for todays images. You will need to use the slow button because as Pig says, it was a very brief event.  :smiley:

This is why solar observing can be so exciting, a bit like fishing, you never know what you're going to catch next!  :smiley:

I must admit I am totally hooked, (forgive the ref to fishing) :laugh:

Since discovering Solar, Lunar & standard astronomy my life has changed dramatically in the last 12 months. It sure is very satisfying and very good for ones Karma :grin:

You can relive the events that Pig has described by visiting the GONG Ha monitor page, select the Learmonth telescope image and click on the video for todays images. You will need to use the slow button because as Pig says, it was a very brief event.  :smiley:

Do you have the link Peter ?  :laugh:

wow! what a resource this is , thanks you for mentioning it, very impressive!

Archived