Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Myriad 100-degree Eyepiece

The first of a new range of eyepieces with 100 & 110 degree fields of view has arrived. 

The 9mm Myriad eyepiece appears to be from the same stable as the Panaview and ExtraFlat eyepieces with a similar fit and finish and soft twist-up eyecups. 

Construction is 9 elements in 6 groups and eye-relief is 13mm. 

Fits both 2" and 1.25'" (the 2" nosepiece is removable) focusers. 

Other focal lengths in the pipeline include 3, 5, 15 and 20mm. 

Skywatcher_Myriad_eyepiece_9mm.jpg

If I were to get a 100 degree eyepiece, I'd get an Ethos. However, I can't blame Skywatcher for adding their name to the list 100 degree eyepiece suppliers :).

Would be interesting to see how this performs against the other 100 degree eyepieces floating around. Are you considering asking John to review one?

Would be interesting to see how this performs against the other 100 degree eyepieces floating around. Are you considering asking John to review one?

First Light Optics have kindly sent me a William Optics XWA 9mm 101 degree eyepiece to review. It looks exactly the same as the Skywatcher Myriad 100 9mm and, according to the William Optics website, with the exception of the 1 degree and 15mm of eye relief, the spec is the same. The eye relief of the WO XWA 9mm that I've been sent seems tighter than 15mm to me but I'm not able to measure the field stop diameter to verify the 1 extra degree of apparent field of view. 

In my opinion, these are very likely to be the same eyepieces.

We would be pleased to send John one, if he doesn't mind :smiley:

It would be interesting to hear how this model compares with the William Optics eyepiece. I think we can all see they are related but it isn't unusual for different companies to specify different specifications. 

Uber-wide and Ultra-wide eyepieces are certainly popular here at SGL so I am glad we have something new to offer but for my own observing I still tend to use super-wides. I like to know all the available light has been channeled into a FOV that I can see without tilting my neck to peer into the edges. Even when using an undriven Dobsonian I rarely use anything with a FOV over 70-degrees. But optical glass, coatings and manufacturing processes have improved over the years and a lot of R&D has been focused towards increasing the FOV so the quality gaps between the different types have narrowed considerably. So I am probably being old-fashioned. 

Steve 

We would be pleased to send John one, if he doesn't mind :smiley:

No problem from my point of view Steve  :smiley:

On 70 degree eyepieces, I can well recall you singing the praises of Pentax XW's to me several SGL star parties ago. You were dead right about them - superb eyepieces :grin:

Uber-wide and Ultra-wide eyepieces are popular here at SGL so I am glad we have something new to offer but for my own observing I still tend to use super-wides. I like to know all the available light has been channeled into a FOV that I can see without tilting my neck to peer into the edges. Even when using an undriven Dobsonian I rarely use anything with a FOV over 70-degrees. 

Yep I'm with you there Steve, if I wanted to look at the Beehive cluster then I want to SEE all of it not just part of it and have to move my head to see the rest!

On 70 degree eyepieces, I can well recall you singing the praises of Pentax XW's to me several SGL star parties ago. You were dead right about them - superb eyepieces :grin:

They are still my favourites  B)

• 1 month later...

I just tried the WO branded 9mm 101 degree.  In my TSA-102 and Lunt-152, both f/8, it is absolutely wonderful!   Sharp to the edge of field and surprisingly its planetary performance really impressed me.  Exit pupil is very very comfortable and eye relief long enough so easy to see the entire AFOV.  Love the ergonomics of it also...rotating eye cup...and how its dual skirt is not ugly or obnoxious so looks and works great as 2" or with the skirt removed a 1.25".  Will be very interested to see how other focal lengths perform when WO decides to offer more (not in 2014), and the new Myriad.

I've never tried a 100degree eyepiece - but I got my first 82degree eyepiece (11mm), and the field of view is refreshing.

With 100degre eyepieces, does the eye have to be squashed own onto the eyepiece? I have a 28mm Meade 5000 SWA (perhaps 68 degrees), and recently realised that I've been holding my eye too far away from the glass - when I move closed, the field of view increases!

I've never tried a 100degree eyepiece - but I got my first 82degree eyepiece (11mm), and the field of view is refreshing.

With 100degre eyepieces, does the eye have to be squashed own onto the eyepiece? I have a 28mm Meade 5000 SWA (perhaps 68 degrees), and recently realised that I've been holding my eye too far away from the glass - when I move closed, the field of view increases!

Eye relief is 13mm so fine for most people. No good for those who have to wear glasses while observing

The eye relief of most 100 degree eyepieces seems to be in the 14mm - 15mm range although it can seem tighter than that as they, in common with 82 degree designs, tend to used concave eye lenses and the eye relief is measured from the centre top surface of the eye lens. Some manufacturers recess the eye lens a little too so that looses another couple of mm. 

Many 82 degree eyepieces, especially in the focal lengths less than 20mm, seem to have eye relief of 12mm or a bit less so the 100 degree ones are certainly no harder to use than those, in my experience.

Remember that your Meade 28mm has a twist up and down top section so you can adjust the position of that to find what suits you best and come back to it time after time from then on. 

• 4 months later...

Archived