Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New scope - finderscope

So my new 150p Dob will be coming soon hopefully, ordered today  :laugh:  yipee, very excited.

Two questions I think I may need help on,  the finderscope, is it hard to set up and do you use it much? I am worried I won't be able to find anything in it as its so small.

Secondly, the supplied eyepieces, which should I start with and when would I want to change them over?

If you can find something bright the Moon will do line up the Dob, then adjust the finderscope, next pick a bright star and repeat, be sorted then, a Telrad will be a better option, there are free telrad maps to download and Stellarium has the Telrad Circles  so star hopping is a pleasure.....

Telrad

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

Stellarium

http://www.stellarium.org/

A 150p Dob is a nice scope to start with. The 6x30 finder is similar to the one that came with my C8, and I used that for a long time before replacing it with a larger one.It takes a bit of practice, but it is OK. Having said that, I much prefer a right-angle, correct-image finder (RACI). My current one is a 14x70 is overkill for some, but great to work with. A 9x50 is recommended on many scopes

The 25mm EP supplied with many scopes is quite capable, but the 10mm is often less satisfactory. When looking for things, always start with the wider field 25mm, and increase magnification whenever you feel the need

Thanks both, great replies, so I will prob use the 10mm for now then get a better one, once I am more familiar with using the scope etc

The finder def needs upgrading as well then, another item to get soon as well. 

Not a cheap hobby is it  :laugh: glad my husband is fully supportive of me trying my hand at stargazing but better wait till next month before I shock him with more expense  :shocked:

Hello and welcome. The problem with finder scopes, I find anyway, it can be difficult where to point the scope to begin with, though it is doable with some practice. 

A red dot finder is very useful, or one of the popular alternatives that projects rings onto the sky when you look through them, the telrad or rigel quikfinder.  Most observers end up with both on the scope, the red to finder to roughly get to your target in an area, then use the finder scope to zone in and finetune.

It will be easy enough to fix the red dot finder  to the tube somewhere near the finder scope, this is what most people do. In most cases, sticky pads come supplied with them and the finder can be attached to the tube that way.  If you are really certain about where you want it in the long run you can drill some holes, screw it onto the tube at some stage if you want.

A nice time to buy when Mars will be getting close to us in the coming month, and you are not too late to have a good look at Jupiter still just after dinner.

Have fun with the scope :smiley:

Great scope for starting in this hobby, it will show you plenty.

I wouldn't go rushing to spend your hard earned, using your scope will give you a good idea where you need to improve.

Just a few pointers on the finder. 

When attaching the finder to the scope remember the little "O"-ring goes in the grove on the finder and the finder mounts in the bracket from the front.

Align the finder on a distant object in daylight. Use the 25mm eyepiece and get a target in the centre of the field of view then adjust the two thumb screws to put the target on the cross hairs of the finder. Repeat using the 10mm. You are now good to go.

Using the finder is a knack, you keep both eyes open and move the scope 'til your target in the finder coincides with what you see in the other eye.

One last thing, you will need something to help you find your way around the sky. A good start is Stellarium a free planetarium program:- http://www.stellarium.org/

Good luck, any questions, you know where to come.

Thank you, what a lovely helpful bunch you are,  Stellarium downloaded  :smiley:  I will be playing with that soon. Thanks for the info given, I really do appreciate it.

150p has been shipped already by FLO, wow that is service at its best.

+1 for the two posts above. I find having a Rigel (or Telrad - they're different versions of the same idea) very useful for getting me in the right area. Just using the finder scope is ... awkward. I don't have a right angled finder, so it's an awkward position to maintain, and I don't think I've the knack of it.

As Alan says, it does help to set up before it's really dark - I'll often align on a distant tree, telegraph pole, etc.. Or, if I'm at home, the sign for the Hilton hotel.

Also  (to add to the expense) if nobody has suggested it, I found the book "Turn Left at Orion" a good guide to finding things. It's got good drawings of what you'll actually see, rather than some long exposure, glorious colour image.

I'd add another vote for aligning the finder with the scope during the day.  It really is much easier to do that way if you can as you can not only see that the two are not pointing at the same thing, but also work out fairly easily which way the finder scope needs to move.  Distant chimneys, television aerials, church towers and so on all make good targets for getting the alignment right.  Though you might struggle today if your weather is anything like it is this side of the Severn Estuary :)

James

My first scope was a 6" F/8 Newtonian on a Dobson-like mount (home made), so your scope brings back fond memories. I had mine for 15 years or so, before I went for a bigger one. I had a straight through 10x50 finder made from a defunct pair of bins. I myself do not get on with Telrads and RDFs that well. I find that the 6x30 finder on my scope keeps position quite well, and I rarely need to adjust it (I store the scope with that finder attached). The 14x70 has to come off each time, so my routine is to first find a bright object with the 6x30 finder to centre the scope, and then adjust the big finder to match. My current mount does track, so I am in no rush in the alignment process. In a Dob it is better to align on a stationary object.

A drawback of Telrads and RDFs is that they only allow you to find objects related to naked-eye objects. A finder shows fainter stars (3.16 magnitudes fainter in a 30mm, about 4.25 in a 50mm, 5.0 in a 70mm). This can be a real help especially with any light pollution. The hybrid set-up of a telrad + a finder scope is probably ideal.

+1 for the two posts above. I find having a Rigel (or Telrad - they're different versions of the same idea) very useful for getting me in the right area. Just using the finder scope is ... awkward. I don't have a right angled finder, so it's an awkward position to maintain, and I don't think I've the knack of it.

As Alan says, it does help to set up before it's really dark - I'll often align on a distant tree, telegraph pole, etc.. Or, if I'm at home, the sign for the Hilton hotel.

Also  (to add to the expense) if nobody has suggested it, I found the book "Turn Left at Orion" a good guide to finding things. It's got good drawings of what you'll actually see, rather than some long exposure, glorious colour image.

Book ordered through Amazon, hopefully it will be here next week sometime.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, yes, we are full of fog here as well, typical lol sat here waiting for Fedex and it goes all foggy after several nice days  :Envy:

Aligning my finder isn't a problem - keeping it aligned is!! Lost count of the number of times I've knocked it when taking the scope outside, or hitting my head on it when reaching for a different EP off the rack.... Many mid-session re-alignments (and I've only had the scope a few weeks!)

Think I will be investing in a Telrad soon, the finderscope works, but I think a Telrad will be much easier.. just need to keep my head under control!

Three items I found very useful on a dob of that size are: a raci, an adjustable stool, and maybe for later, an 8-24mm zoom lens (I use the Hyperion). Don't be tempted by the "eyepiece kits" which tend to be not much better than supplied eyepieces and represent very poor value for money imho. The zoom is a much better alternative for a good range of magnifications even if it is a spot dearer - and it's several steps up in quality. On top of that a good'ish eyepiece around 28-30mm will complete your entry level setup very nicely.

Also - treat yourself to a £5 camping mattress and make a dew shield - it'll extend your sessions in light dew. Hth :)

Three items I found very useful on a dob of that size are: a raci, an adjustable stool, and maybe for later, an 8-24mm zoom lens (I use the Hyperion). Don't be tempted by the "eyepiece kits" which tend to be not much better than supplied eyepieces and represent very poor value for money imho. The zoom is a much better alternative for a good range of magnifications even if it is a spot dearer - and it's several steps up in quality. On top of that a good'ish eyepiece around 28-30mm will complete your entry level setup very nicely.

Also - treat yourself to a £5 camping mattress and make a dew shield - it'll extend your sessions in light dew. Hth :)

*Off to google dew shield* thanks for the pointers, I will certainly be looking at eyepieces as I have heard the ones that come with the scope are not brill.

Just as an aside thought, if anyone is looking for a red dot sight but at a quarter of the price you find in an astronomy shop, then have a look at Ebay. No not under telescopes, under 'gun sights red dot'. About 8 quid for a multi recticel unit plus a couple of quid for a mount rail. Don't bother with the red lasers, they wont reach the stars, Ive tried it :grin:  Got quite a few of these bits and bobs from my air pistol shooting day's :laugh:

Archived