Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What are YOUR BEST OBSERVING GUIDE GUIDE

For all practical purpous, I enjoy the Sky Atlas 2000.0 and its companion book.  Last year I purchased a copy of The Great Atlas Of The Sky, and although a fabulous work, it reaches further than my equipment is capable and has more plotted than I could view in a lifetime.

Edit: My favourite guide, is an old copy of Olcott's " Field Book Of The Skies " ;  guess I'm just nostalgic.  :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

I know it is 40 plus years out of date, but I still love Burnham's Celestial Handbook, which I use with my nearly 30 year old Sky Atlas 2000.  With the small aperature instruments I use, they are all I need to put together my target lists.  When I have put the list together with the aforementioned resources, I then use online resources to get up to date on what is now known regarding the targets.

For Lunar observing, my at the eyepiece resource is The Hatfield Lunar Atlas.  If I observe a feature which is not shown in the Hatfield Atlas, as often happens, I make detailed notes, fixing the feature's location in relation to what the Hatfield Atlas does show.  Later, I use those notes to identify the feature using Virtual Moon Atlas

There seems to be a common set of experiences here.  I started in the early 1980s with the three Burnhams and got a Tirion Atlas when they became available in the UK.  I added a Uranometria some time later, but now use the two volumes of the Night Sky Observers Guide.

Rarely use anything other than S&T or the Cambridge double star atlas, after a night's observing, I love hunting about the web learning about what I have observed and seeing if my sketches match those by others.  

I'm another fan of Burnham's Celestial Handbooks here. Just so much stuff all in one place - I know its dated, but its such a treasure trove of all sorts of information. Love it, and I often spend a cloudy evening just flocking through it. I wish there was a modern equivalent.

I also use the S&T star atlas in the field - compact and plenty enough detail for me.

Archived