Sunspots

Hawksteve

I am a new amateur to stargazing and i would like to ask a question. I know you should not look at the sun without special equipment but i recently witnessed a sunset and as the sun was dropping to the horizon through fairly thick cloud i thought it was safe to observe with binoculars. I saw in the northern top left quadrant what appeared to be a large group of sunspots. Where they sunspots? 

what if there was a small gap in the clouds?  this is really not a good idea!

as for the sunspots, yes they probably were. you could always buy some Baader safety film http://astronomia.co.uk/baader-astrosolar-a4-nd5-0-safety-film.html?gclid=CLnn-4Kxh70CFasEwwodXroASA for your binoculars that way you could make some filters for them.

welcome to SGL as well :sad:

One of the easist things to do is use your binoculars to project an image onto a white piece of card or paper. Cost is zero £'s. Its what i used to do when i first started. Surprisingly effective.

Or buy a sheet of Baader Solar Film for £20 and make two solar filters for the binoculars. Instructions are included, its all very Blue Peter but works....safely.

I am a new amateur to stargazing and i would like to ask a question. I know you should not look at the sun without special equipment but i recently witnessed a sunset and as the sun was dropping to the horizon through fairly thick cloud i thought it was safe to observe with binoculars. I saw in the northern top left quadrant what appeared to be a large group of sunspots. Where they sunspots? 

PLEASE PLEASE don't try this again as you can so easily get serious eye damage.

One reason why I'm not getting my granddaughter anything better than toy binoculars until she is old enough to know better.

Get the proper viewing specs - they are only a few bucks.

Having said that do enjoy the hobby and don't take this comment unkindly.

Ade

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you may have gathered that it is not a good idea to view the sun without proper protection for the eyes, all good advice from members here as we like to care of fellow observers like yourself!  :smiley:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum,

James

Archived