NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 07.03.2014

catman161

Mount: NEQ6 Pro Scope:200P Camera: ZWO ASI120MC Accessories: Televue 4x Powermate

Last night I first lighted my new televue 4x 2 inch powermate properly. I had tried to on a previous night but got frustrated with trying to find the right combination of extension tubes to get the planet to focus and packed up that night out of frustration! Last night I took a calmer approach and was more systematic and found that a 2.5 inch extension allowed my room either side of focus through my 200P.

So I slotted the powermate in to the extension and then my flip mirror (which I guess actually adds more extension but not sure how much) and used a bog standard skywatcher 25mm EP in the flip mirror for centering purposes. I got jupiter on the live view screen of sharpcap 2 and the first thing thought was "wow thats the scale I've been wanting!" It looked massive :) I think back a year ago when I was using just a philips SPC900 webcam and it makes me chuckle :D

So the conditions were actually quite poor last night with a turbulent seeing 1/5 and a clearly visible halo around what would have been a nice crescent moon if it was properly visible. So the resultant image is not focused well, hence the "soft" look and lack of clearly definable detail. I am hoping for muc beter from this setup whe better conditions allow, but it is all good practice.

So the below is the best image from 5 runs and is the best 75% of 6000 frames captured in Sharpcap 2, stacked in AS!2 and further processing (levels/curves/sharpening) in Photoshop CS2.

Advice/comments welcomed as always :)

13009196123_22a888ecc4_o.png
Jupiter 07_03_2014 19_43_46 by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

I agree noise at the end ,looks good tho focus might be a tad of but nice clour more frames will bring more noise tho next time do some short frames and long less is more,with webcams people think more is better but it does bring noise give it a go next time try some short runs,and long runs match them up after I tested loads with the dnk21 mono I,did 5000 frames and 1500 frames the short runs where sharper and less noise ,no harm trying

Pat

Thanks Pat. Although I am not using a webcam anymore-I use a dedicated planetary camera. May give that method a try and see what kind of results it brings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Pat. Although I am not using a webcam anymore-I use a dedicated planetary camera. May give that method a try and see what kind of results it brings.

Hi Felix I ment that I still refer to my dmk as that hahah give it a whirl

Pat

Hi Felix I ment that I still refer to my dmk as that hahah give it a whirl

Pat

Ahh I see :) no worries. I'll give it a try at some point. Load if high haziness here at present. Hoping it will clear soon so can have a go again.

Nice shots, top one for me seems less noisy, extension tubes give very little in the way of larger image scale with the 4x powermate with them being parfocal unlike a barlow set up, a tv 3x gives approx. the same scale!

Nicely done Felix. Your going to be getting some really excellent results in good seeing!!

Pete

Cheers Pete, I am hoping tonight may be ok but jet stream is looking like it may ruin things :( Will try anyway :)

This is really well done - excellent processing

I have the AS120 as well - could you please tell me what gain and gamma settings you use?

I'm using 30fps and 0 gain/gamma although I see the instructions call for setting the gamma on 50 by default?

Thanks

David

This is really well done - excellent processing

I have the AS120 as well - could you please tell me what gain and gamma settings you use?

I'm using 30fps and 0 gain/gamma although I see the instructions call for setting the gamma on 50 by default?

Thanks

David

Hi,

Thanks :) I recall (I deleted settings file sorry) that the gain was on 55 and the gamma 50 and I was getting (I think) 47fps.

Archived