Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81+82, Leo Triplet + Double Cluster

cygnusx1

First light for new scope, Orion ED80 sent me in search of a few objects to fill the bigger FOV as skies cleared earlier this week.

Very impressed with the crispness and focus on the Orion, for the price its a cracker and recommended for anyone wanting a very modestly priced APO.

All images @ F/7, unguided, Modded 350D, Neodym LP filter. Stacked in DSS, processed in PS CS2, PS Elements 5 with NC LP filter tool.

Moon wash out made it difficult to remove the LP effect unfortunately hence all @ ISO400.

No flat, darks or bias frames. :nono: :D

M81+82

43 mins

3379_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Leo Triplet

first bash at this object, 38mins @ ISO 400, difficult objects these probably need longer exposures than 3 mins and less moonlight.

3370_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Double Cluster in Perseus

3.5mins exposure.

Unfortunately this was setting and a branch of tree obscured bottom right of image.

3389_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

All in all a successfull night really, just need more!

Comments/critique always welcome :D

Excellent first light images, Kevin - I too have this 'scope and love it! It opens up a whole load of imaging opportunities and no chromatic aberrations.

You have some dust on your sensor that you might want to address but DON'T USE A BRUSH, just use a powerful bulb puffer

Well done Kevin, a great set of images. The stars are looking nice and round. I think your 3 min subs on the Leo Triplet will be fine, just needs more overall exposure. The ED80 is a great scope at any price.

I keep banging on about gradient exterminator. One of the better things to do with £20. I used it on your M81/82 and double cluster. Also gave the double cluster stars a bit of a pump up.

3372_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

3373_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I keep banging on about gradient exterminator. One of the better things to do with £20. I used it on your M81/82 and double cluster. Also gave the double cluster stars a bit of a pump up.

Thanks for cleaning up the pics Martin, they look a lot more respectable now! :D

Isn't there a gradient removal tool in PS or NC filter actions?

Splendid nights work you had there by the looks of it. :D M81 & 82 stand out really well. :D

I had a go at the Triplet the other night when imaging Saturn,being in the neighbourhood so to speak,but was using the Mak and the results were not good.Two smudges and a smear for the most part. :lol:

Cheers

CW

Kevin,have you tried using the sponge tool in saturate mode on your images? Although it may not give the effect you are looking for it can bring out more detail than is at first apparent to the eye. I tried it on your M81 + M82 and think it works well.

Cheers

CW

(click as usual)

Very nice CW, that saturate brought out the red division nicely in M82 :hello1:

Not sure how realistic it is, but i like the new overall softer fuzzy effect.

So thanks to you and Martin i've got 2 new tools to try out besides curves,levels and LP removal - gradient and saturation!

Nice work Kevin!!, from another ED80 fan.

You're are gonna get to love that scope :D

As for RC's 'gadient terminator', I downloaded the 30 day trial a couple of days ago, and although I've only yet tried it on one image, is does look promising.

Dave

Archived