Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on Scopes for Imaging.

Hi Guys,

I am currently using an Celestron 76EQ and i am looking at upgrading to get something that i can make my first steps into doing some AP with. However, as always i do not have huge amounts of money to spend. I wondered if there was any tips on a good all round scope for a beginner that will also be good for doing some AP.

I am probably going to have somewhere around the £400 - £500 mark to spend. I had been looking at the Nexstar 127 - And the Skywatcher 127 (is there any difference apart from the badge between these scopes?) anybody using these care to share their thoughtS?

Thanks ! 

I'm far from an expert but can mention what others may well be thinking as they read your question.

If you haven't got and read Make Every Photon Count get that first.

As mentioned the mount comes before anything if you want some good images.

Not looking at this myself but I've seen people quote your budget plus more on the mount alone, AP is not a cheap road to travel.

£20 of the book may well save a lot of heartache and in the end save you a lot of money. I know if I was spending that much I'd want something I want to keep and be happy with rather than thinking if only I had saved for another £100.

The 127 Maks with GoTo are nice planetary scopes and a great start to get into planetary imaging, with a modified webcam.

With the budget you have, that's where you should be looking at.

As to start out with long exposure astrophotography you will need a budget at least twice as that.

As a mount like the HEQ5Pro or Advanced VX alone will already cost more than your projected budget.

Cheapest entry would be a HEQ5 Pro mount with a 150PDS Newtonian. Which will set you back around 1000 pounds, incl. Power and adapters.

And that is if you already have a DSLR.

Thanks Guys.

I am aware that the money i have to spend on this is not a huge amount and i would be limited as to what i could do.

With the 127 Mak  - would you be able to image say the Orion Nebula or would things like that still be completely out of range?

Thanks Guys.

I am aware that the money i have to spend on this is not a huge amount and i would be limited as to what i could do.

With the 127 Mak  - would you be able to image say the Orion Nebula or would things like that still be completely out of range?

I think with the mention of webcam as below you will be limited to planetary and lunar. Not knowing anything about the scopes I do know you need to go to DSLR or dedicated sensor for anything else.

The 127 Maks with GoTo are nice planetary scopes and a great start to get into planetary imaging, with a modified webcam.

Thanks Guys.

You could possibly do it, you just need to keep the exposures down to about 30 seconds or less to avoid too much field rotation and maybe add a focal reducer. 

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

Thanks Guys.

Depends on what mount you're planning to put it. Are you noticing a pattern here?

It's not an ideal imaging scope by a long way. Have you looked at the Skywatcher ED80's??

Did I miss your answer about what mount you currently have? :smiley:

Hi no sorry i was just being rude and ignoring your question :)

It is just the standard German EQ Mount that came with it. 

Depends on what mount you're planning to put it. Are you noticing a pattern here?

It's not an ideal imaging scope by a long way. Have you looked at the Skywatcher ED80's??

He only has a 400-500 pounds Budget and that need to include a Mount.

The Scope and Mount he currently has is posted in his OP: http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-astromaster-76eq.html

No exactly a Mount to do any imaging work With.

I think what i am using is a good start for astroimaging EQ5 with RA motor about £300 and a Skywatcher 130pds with comma correcter, £260. The scope is great but i know eventually i will probably upgrading the mount. Is a expensive pastime thats for sure.

There are two kinds of imaging, long exposure deep sky and video camera based planetary. They are totally different from each other.

You can use an alt az, long focal length, slow focal ratio scope with a webcam for planetary. You cannot do so for deep sky. For deep sky you need an accurate GEM and a fast F ratio. Unless you have a serious mount and autoguider you will need to stick to a short focal length, too.

The Orion nebula is a bad example to ask about bcause it is (in the Trapezium region) incredibly bright. You could catch it in scopes that could not, thereafter, catch anything else!

Sara is absolutely right about the mount. For deep sky imaging it is the heart of the matter, counter intuitive as this may seem.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

A novice speaking here...

How about just going with widefield...mount your camera to the EQ mount you already have...you'd be able to track well enough for widefield pics for sure.

Then maybe add widefield-ish refractor (400-500mm?)...or...buy one or two used prime telephoto Canon lenses to do about the same thing while also being able to use the lenses for daytime photos.

In this way you can do a LOT of AP now, then later, upgrade the mount and scope if you feel the need.

Or just get an iOptron Skytracker and use your camera with that.

If you're OK with taking widefield of nebulae, get an iOptron, as wsalopek said, or a second-hand Astrotrac (takes a heavier load) and can be bought, with the ESSENTIAL polarscope, for about £400 - if you're lucky! You'd need a good-quality 200mm or 300mm lens. That's one option. Do a search on Melsky and see his images done with an Astrotrac. He's one of the best. You'd need to have your camera modded to remove the IR filter as many nebulae emit in the IR.

Good luck!

Alexxx

Why don't you go your first steps with the 76EQ? That might give you an idea and make more sense of everything. On top of it - it wouldn't cost you a thing extra!

You don't even need a motor - just set your scope up with the moon or Jupiter on the left and take a webcam video with sharpcap, as it sails across your view. Then stick this video into PIPP to center the planet in every frame. Then put this into Registax.

What do you think? Worth a try?

Archived