NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BabyQ First Light - NGC2264 (Cone) in Ha

gingergeek

It's not going to win any prizes but work, travel and weather have prevented me getting a first light on the BabyQ bought off Ian King at Astrofest. I only managed 3hrs (12*15mins) at -15c as the Cone now sets early behind the neighbours rooftop but it represents the start of a long journey with the BabyQ . I haven't yet checked the corners to make sure that everything is sitting square.

12938356294_b6757a0468_b.jpg

Thanks guys, it is very noisy I guess due to the lack of subs (seeing was not great) as well as the target not being well framed but I needed to get out to take my mind off things. Also it was in native mode (F5.3) as I'm  waiting for the reducer and custom space adapter so hopefully I can go longer and deeper in the future. Hopefully I will improve on the imaging but I only got this far because of all you guys (Steppenwolf, Swag72, Martin, Olly, Kirkster et al) answering my questions and learning from your posts.

It's excellent. The corners look fine to me as well they should, because the small chip of the 460 is not reaching out anywhere near the edges of the corrected circle. Take plenty of time on focus (I use FWHM over B mask but it depends on seeing) and you can't go wrong with this setup. Great camera, great scope - and a great result.

Three or four years ago the FSQ85 was a Cinderella rarely seen on the forums. It's great to see how that has changed because it's a wonderful instrument and incredibly productive. It isn't a poor man's 106, it's different and has some advantages.

Olly

Archived