Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue NP127 has arrived and the optics look a little... Hmmmmmmm

Have just tonight taken my first look through the NP127 and it would seem that I needn't have been concerned. The view is absolutely stunning!

Am observing through intermittent cloud at the moment, but I'm getting a good sense already of the difference between the 4" and 5" scopes. Omega Centauri is definitely a lot higher resolved through the NP127 and Eta Carinae and NGC 3532 are simply amazing! With an almost 40% moon throwing a decent haze across most of the sky, conditions are far from ideal (particularly for these two particular objects), so I'm very much looking forward to getting this back out under darker skies. All in all, very happy with this new acquisition so far... Even with the few marks on its coatings!! :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm... Think I may have spoken too soon. After further use, it would appear that the scope is in need of some serious collimating. The star test is pretty horrible, to be honest. Didn't really notice anything odd when using the 24mm Panoptic. Stars looked nice and tight. But, after increasing the power with both the 10mm Radian and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, stars had a pretty curious looking tail on them. A lot of people probably wouldn't have noticed so much, but after spectacular views through both the Genesis and TV76, it just "felt" like I couldn't achieve prime focus. Star testing on Sirius confirmed it. The term "concentric" wasn't even in the dictionary for that test. Either side of focus showed not only non-symmetrical rings, but also quite an ugly "blob" off centre inside the airy disk. Hard to explain what it looks like, or establish what it is (unless it's just a product of the miscollimation), but it's enough to make me not even close to being entirely satisfied with the scope.

So, after a lengthy chat with John from Televue (what a lovely guy!), I've decided I'm going to ship the thing all the way back to the states for a bit of a going over. Not going to be cheap, I can tell you that. Collimation and clean alone will set me back a fair bit. But, whilst there, I've decided I'm going to have the front cell replaced (they can't be re-coated after all, apparently) and may have the 6:1 focuser upgraded to the 10:1. The cost of all this, combined with shipping costs, has me pretty convinced I should have just bought a brand-new NP127is locally in the first place, but oh well, we live and learn. I'm pretty sure I should have almost as good a scope as new once it's had its tune-up.

*siiiiighhhhhhhhh*

Very sorry indeed to learn of your problems.  I wouldn't necessarily blame the seller for the collimation issue, it's not the first TV refractor to lose collimation during shipping, or if it takes a drop.

Here's a CN thread on collimating an NP101 http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/collimating-my-tv-np-101#Post4090522 but all TV refractors have the same method of front cell attachment with the 3 lock screws.

I collimated my elderly Pronto after removing the complete lens cell to clean a VERY grubby innermost lens surface.  The cell comes off as a unit without disturbing the lens elements within the cell.

Olly Penrice on here collimated his Genesis successfully.

But of course that wouldn't sort the front element issue you have. It's painful for you, but when you get the 127 back from TV, you will have a perfect scope, and after a while you will feel confident again knowing that you own a very fine scope in tip-top condition  :smiley:

I'm sure you will let us know how it goes, best regards, Ed.

Thanks Ed. A bit disappointing, but I guess that's the risk you take when you buy used from so far away. I've read the threads on collimating TV scopes and have seen both yours and Olly's comments on the relative ease of doing so. They certainly make it tempting to attempt myself, but I've decided I'll send it back to Televue and have them do it for me. If I wasn't going to have the other stuff done also, I might reconsider, but I might as well get the lot done all at once. That way I'll have nothing more to complain about but my terrible skies and lack of time to use the thing :)

Thanks Ed. A bit disappointing, but I guess that's the risk you take when you buy used from so far away. I've read the threads on collimating TV scopes and have seen both yours and Olly's comments on the relative ease of doing so. They certainly make it tempting to attempt myself, but I've decided I'll send it back to Televue and have them do it for me. If I wasn't going to have the other stuff done also, I might reconsider, but I might as well get the lot done all at once. That way I'll have nothing more to complain about but my terrible skies and lack of time to use the thing :)

Indeed we feel your pain.  But after a while, you'll feel a lot better when the 127 returns from TV, having been given a very professional repair. They will be all over it with complete attention to detail.

You will be thrilled with it I'm sure, viewing all those southern objects that I can only dream about !

All the very best, Ed.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... Think I may have spoken too soon. After further use, it would appear that the scope is in need of some serious collimating. The star test is pretty horrible, to be honest. Didn't really notice anything odd when using the 24mm Panoptic. Stars looked nice and tight. But, after increasing the power with both the 10mm Radian and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, stars had a pretty curious looking tail on them. A lot of people probably wouldn't have noticed so much, but after spectacular views through both the Genesis and TV76, it just "felt" like I couldn't achieve prime focus. Star testing on Sirius confirmed it. The term "concentric" wasn't even in the dictionary for that test. Either side of focus showed not only non-symmetrical rings, but also quite an ugly "blob" off centre inside the airy disk. Hard to explain what it looks like, or establish what it is (unless it's just a product of the miscollimation), but it's enough to make me not even close to being entirely satisfied with the scope.

So, after a lengthy chat with John from Televue (what a lovely guy!), I've decided I'm going to ship the thing all the way back to the states for a bit of a going over. Not going to be cheap, I can tell you that. Collimation and clean alone will set me back a fair bit. But, whilst there, I've decided I'm going to have the front cell replaced (they can't be re-coated after all, apparently) and may have the 6:1 focuser upgraded to the 10:1. The cost of all this, combined with shipping costs, has me pretty convinced I should have just bought a brand-new NP127is locally in the first place, but oh well, we live and learn. I'm pretty sure I should have almost as good a scope as new once it's had its tune-up.

*siiiiighhhhhhhhh*

Hi Aaron,  Just got back onto SGL to see how you got on with your 'big' scope purchase and found this thread, such a shame the scope must have got some amateur collimation when trying to clean the lens.

I am sure your happiness will return when the 127 comes back all fresh and clean.  Our previous discussion about TSA/FS/NP resulted in me buying an FS128.  I am yet to test, so hope all is well with it.

Look forward to photos of your scope when it's all better.  Matt

One of the members in the Astronomy club I belong to had his Televue  76  (TV-76 ??) recoated after his son cleaned his lens with "God knows what".  The glass was fine but there were slight scratches on the coating.

It cost him about 225 dollars American.

After he got the scope back, he told me he couldn't tell the difference in visual seeing or in astrophotography.....so maybe you're worrying about nothing.  :)  :) 

Also, I suspect his was a lot worse than yours.  Hope this eases your mind!      

"We live and learn"

And thanks for sharing your experience as we all have also learnt some thing from it. I am sure that when its back you will have a personal attachment to it possibly feeling some satisfaction from having it fixed and upgraded when you use it. Which is more than I can say about my VW Passat which spent three weeks at the dealers and cost me seventeen hundred quid to fix. Not only that its has set my telescope fund back to almost zero when I was in touching distance of  a new scope. At least you got to spend you money on the scope.

Whilst I might envy your scopes I really envy your skies.

Joves

At least when it comes back you will know that it is bang on, the best that it can be. And, as such, be able to enjoy it free from doubt.

If you are anything like me, you would always wonder if it could be better if you tried to botch / carefully do it yourself.

Suggestion for a new thread:

I couldn't help but notice that you are in possession of a splendid array of gourmet kit. But what do you view with each scope / eyepiece type combination? I am assuming that each has its own set of strengths / limitations? Or do you just like owning scopes? :) I'm hoping for the former so that I can justify getting some friends for my lonely Dob at some stage.

Paul

Hi guys,

Thanks for checking in and reviving the thread.

I wish I had more exciting news, but sadly the scope really hasn't seen any use so far. Haven't sent it to Televue for a re-work as of yet. Will cost about $2000 with what I'm wanting to have done to it, which is get the main objective replaced, full clean and collimate and replace the 6:1 focuser with a new 10:1. Again, in hindsight, I probably should have just bought a brand new NP127is... Oh well, I guess we live and learn.

I've been using my LX90 a bit more the past little while (I chop and change my scope of choice every now and then), so haven't really felt the urgency to get the NP127 sorted out. I really must get onto it, as it should be a beauty of a scope once it has been fixed up. At the moment it's sitting in the corner on the AZ-EQ6 gathering dust, which is a bit sad.

I agree Starry... I think I will feel a little 'closer' to this scope once I get it all sorted out. Will probably curse the thing occasionally for causing me more hassle than it should have, but it'll be a cursing born out of love, hopefully.

Paul, I wish I could say that I'm such an aficionado that I have my observations all planned out according to object, scope, eyepiece, filter, etc. Not the case unfortunately. I do tend to use the fracs more frequently than the LX90 (or have been up until Mars' current approach), but that's been more out of convenience than anything else. Mars has certainly rekindled my enthusiasm for the larger aperture SCT though. Has even sparked me into learning how to collimate the thing, which is a positive. Don't get me wrong though, the fracs are surprisingly impressive on the planets! I love them each in their own little way. I really need to use my Ethos' more though. They are sensational EP's but I've been reaching for the Radians Nagler zoom and Panoptics more frequently than not. Again, more out of convenience. Every time I put an Ethos in the diagonal though, I do tell myself that I really must do it more often.

Matt... Congrats on the FS128. I must say, that is the one scope that consistently tempts me every time I see one available. I'm sure it will be an absolute cracker on the planets. Can't believe you haven't given it a run on Mars yet. You have to and let us know how it has gotten on. The one thing erking me about not having the NP127 up and running yet is that it will miss this years opposition, which is a shame. Would have liked to have seen what detail it could possibly show on the challenging one. Out of curiosity, did you end up buying the scope that we were discussing?

Thanks again for your interest in the NP127's state of health again, folks. I'm sure I'll get it up and running soon enough.

All the best,

Aaron

Seeing as the TeleVue NP127is costs about $7295 new in the US.

Then as long as what you paid for yours plus the $2000 maintenance is still below that price? I guess you shouldn´t feel too bad about it. Especially since the maintenace replaces both entire objective and focusser. You get basically a brandnew scope back, including full warranty.

Alan,

I know, I know... Replacing the objective is massive overkill, but I figure if I'm sending it all that way, it might as well come back like a new scope. I'll regret not doing it when I receive it back.

I also know I'm an idiot, but I'm getting too old and set in my ways to change that now.

Thanks for the advice though, I know it's absolutely true.

Cheers,

Aaron

Hi guys,

Thanks for checking in and reviving the thread.

Matt... Congrats on the FS128. I must say, that is the one scope that consistently tempts me every time I see one available. I'm sure it will be an absolute cracker on the planets. Can't believe you haven't given it a run on Mars yet. You have to and let us know how it has gotten on. The one thing erking me about not having the NP127 up and running yet is that it will miss this years opposition, which is a shame. Would have liked to have seen what detail it could possibly show on the challenging one. Out of curiosity, did you end up buying the scope that we were discussing?

Thanks again for your interest in the NP127's state of health again, folks. I'm sure I'll get it up and running soon enough.

All the best,

Aaron

Aaron, I haven't got a mount at the moment that will carry it as I sold my 2 bigger mounts a few weeks ago and have yet to decide which way to go.  

The FS128 is in near mint condition, I cannot believe that I has survived 13 y ears without a mark on it.

It will make a great big brother for my fluorite FC76DCsv.  I am debating the AZ EQ6, iOptron iEQ45AZ or a GEM .

Archived