Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oops - I wish I hadn't done that.

I've gone and dented the tube of my beloved TV85 with a bolt that I drove in too far while tightening some mounting bar to the clamshell. The bolts were too long! It's broken the paint and dented the tube. I'm hoping it's just cosmetic though? Anything I should do? It will, obviously. almost always be out of site and out of harm's way.

While I'm at it, what's the easiest way to mount a TV85? The problem with the clamshells is I think they have imperial threads as opposed to metric, and it makes getting hardware to attach the bar more difficult....and risks getting bolts that are too long!

post-10770-0-98333400-1393455157_thumb.j  post-10770-0-14505200-1393455175_thumb.j

Lee at Green Witch is looking into whether I could just replace the tube (he's emailed Televue to ask if that's possible)...or I could just take it to the local body-shop....or I could just leave it. 

I've ordered the Televue/Vixen adapter which I should have bought when I got the scope. Don't be a cheapskate I've learned!

Ouch !!!  :sad:

If it was my scope I'd want that tube replaced I think. Tele Vue will be able to do it but there will be some cost involved inevitably. If you don't get it sorted I suspect it's going to really irk you each time you look at the scope, even if the performance is unaffected. TV's scopes are beautifully put together things and a blemish like that will stand out, unfortunately.

If it was a lesser brand then I'd probably just fill it and spray it. 

Ouch !!!  :sad:

If it was my scope I'd want that tube replaced I think. Tele Vue will be able to do it but there will be some cost involved inevitably. If you don't get it sorted I suspect it's going to really irk you each time you look at the scope, even if the performance is unaffected. TV's scopes are beautifully put together things and a blemish like that will stand out, unfortunately.

If it was a lesser brand then I'd probably just fill it and spray it. 

Same as that, that kind of thing would eat away at me. Get a new tube if you can.

Am i right in saying that the bolt you tightened too much was part of putting the scope together?. If the bolt was too long (and was supplied with the scope), then that is the makers fault and they should replace the OTA (will be a bit of a cost to yourself).

If it was a mod you did yourself then you do not have any comeback.

I can only assume that its a case of the first.

As John has said...............it might irk you every time you use the scope even if the scope works perfectly. It would be enough to really irk me. Then again, i hate dust gathering on my scope tubes. 

Ah well, you need to factor in that I am a total cretin. The bolts were supplied by myself as an attempt to attach the imperial-threaded clamshell to the vixen-style mounting bar. I took what they had in the local hardware shop and they were too long. but it never seemed to matter on the Porta II. I forgot this fact last night and happily carried on tightening with my socket set. 

As for irking me, I am very good at pretending things aren't there....crying children wanting attention, tax bills, charity collectors, so I'm going to give that a go first. If a new tube is affordable though, I'll probably sort it over the lighter evenings during the summer. 

Give Televue a call, they do not advertise an email for contact but I suppose if you spoke to them first they could have something available to save on the calls, especially with the time difference.

If they do supply a replacement tube, get shorter bolts.

Archived