Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A clear sky with moderate winds at last, so I imaged Jupiter, as you do.

stephen_usher

Well, tonight (25th February) was the first night in about a month that not only was it clear but the wind was low enough that I could open the observatory (and I wasn't elsewhere). So, as you do, it was time to image Jupiter.

The atmosphere wasn't particularly stable this evening but the ripples were large rather than the babbling brook you get with high speed upper atmosphere winds so not too bad an imaging session. Using the x2.5 PowerMate only seemed to magnify the atmospherics, so the best image of the evening was a mere 640x480.

jupiter 2014 02 25 19 36 18

That's a great sharp image Stephen and with the GRS. Looks very natural. Well done.

It's nice to see someone imaging from my Home City of Oxford. I'm feeling home sick now and wish I was back there.

Which scope did you use, the Meade? And what camera did you use to capture?

Keep up the good work.

That's a great sharp image Stephen and with the GRS. Looks very natural. Well done.

It's nice to see someone imaging from my Home City of Oxford. I'm feeling home sick now and wish I was back there.

Which scope did you use, the Meade? And what camera did you use to capture?

Keep up the good work.

No, I used the EdgeHD 1100 with the Celestron Skyris 445C at prime focus and an IR filter. I used a reduced (640x480) region of interest, 15 frames per second at 1/44th second exposure.

This image was processed in Registax 6, 30% of 2000 frames stacked and processed with wavelets.

.....capturing at prime I would definitely use a faster frame-rate Stephen, but a very nice image regardless! :)

It's always a trade off between exposure time and noise.

As for the frame rate, this is the fastest that iCap 2.3 allows, even if connected via USB3! The camera specs say that it should be able to go up to 60fps.

Archived