NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

will I need a Coma Corrector for my DSLR for DSO

oldpink

after lots of reading up I keep seeing for a Newtonian you need a Coma Corrector
also what about a flattener I see this mentioned a lot as well
is this something I can buy in the future to enhance my work, I'd rather spend money on upgrading my mount
or on an auto focuser and worry about filters once I can actually get decent pictures to warrant the £100

For prime focus wide field DSO photography yes. For planetary imaging no. A field flattener is for a refractor type of scope and will not work here. I found a Baader MPCC mkii for about 125 dollars on ebay and it was worth every penny for my 6 inch f5.6 was only usable in the very center in the pictures when i first tried. Stars looked like footballs or wings in the corners now they are perfectly round. Invest in one asap.

You will need a coma corrector for full chip DSO work. No way around it apart from cropping only the center of the image. I tried without one and bit in my fist, wasting a good many nights waiting for it to arrive...

you realise the Mrs is going to kill me
i've bought a £480 camera with no lens that I can't even take a normal picture with
and I have to explain I need to spend £130 just so my stars don't look  like footballs

that Baader looks the part and I'd rather go the extra £40 over the standard Skywatcher one

enything else I should add to my shopping list before I go on (apart from a NEQ 6)

Maybe a Remote Control for the camera this will allow more than 30 second exposures, allow for any number of exposures, save having a laptop either next to the mount or on a long lead so its in the dry.....

There cheap and do a good job.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ramozz-intervalometer-remote-shutter-Camera/dp/B00C1C0WQC/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1393321801&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=canon+600d+remote

Get the MkIII, and avoid the MkII (bad internal reflections).

The Skywatcher 0.9x is good if you dont mind cropping the frame a little, but the advantage with that one is you will be blasting along at f4.5.... never mind the quality.. feel the speed! Kidding aside, it can perform if you get it right. Though I need to add that its RGB performance isnt as good as the MkIII Baader.

Russe, you will still need a CC - even if you are using a small chipped CCD camera (eg: 314L+). Ive already tried that, and was rewarded with an epic fail.

Welcome to the addiction! Hello I'm Chris and i'm an astrophotography addict do you have any eyepieces or barlows for sale? ;-)

You know what they say, one eyepiece is too many and a thousand not enough, and if you don't take that first eyepiece, you won't get get imaged!

I'm trying to stay off them, one day at a time, I would really love a televue 3x barlow though. Surely just one won't hurt?

Tim.

you realise the Mrs is going to kill me

i've bought a £480 camera with no lens that I can't even take a normal picture with

and I have to explain I need to spend £130 just so my stars don't look  like footballs

that Baader looks the part and I'd rather go the extra £40 over the standard Skywatcher one

enything else I should add to my shopping list before I go on (apart from a NEQ 6)

.... camera moddification.... having the internal filters removed and a new astronomical IR fitted, or remove the lot and use a CCD-CLS clip filter... :D

Archived