Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 100p as a suitcase / grab n go / travel scope

Got to admit that I have been looking and thinking about one of these since they came out. Looks ideal for the above reasons in the title although i am just waiting to find out if the base comes apart easily (question asked already)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-100p-tabletop-dobsonian.html

In the past month viewing opportunities in my neck of the woods have been few and far between and something like this with minimal cooling time, instant setup would be perfect. 

I think I would simply get rid of my Evostar on the GOTO mount as it has stood where it is largley redundant since I got it, tending to go for the 12 flex when opportunities arise (money raised from this sale would easily cover cost of 100p and some). That said and the reason for opting for the 100p is sometimes i look up at the sky and think, "bah by the time I set up its not going to be worth it" Patchy cloud, rain forecast etc, you get my drift. No such worries with this little chap.

I also have eyepieces that would compliment the scope very well, 25mm (x16) 12mm (33) 6mm (x67) 4mm (x100) 6mm-bar (x133) 4mm-bar (x200). it all makes sense!

As i say, just waiting to hear back about the mount but I have talked myself into it.

Any thoughts?

Steve

I know what you mean about setup time Steve. The conditions lately just seem to be getting worse and by the time you've set the kit up, then left the scope to cool down the clouds are back. Something quick and easy may help, but I don't think I would want to do that at the expense of my main scope.

Phil

Hi Steve, the Evostar 90 is a good scope and I am surprised you want to get rid of this little gem, but I understand your reasons for doing so.  I find that type of refractor (90) quite quick to set up, though I have an altaz mount on, not all the set up time of the synscan, which is wasted viewing time in my view - just get rid of the synscan and get an altaz mount like the Vixen Porta II, so easy and quick!

based on my 114mm f4 newt I'd be surprised if you manage good views above 100x. as a replacement for binoculars with more aperture on a steady ount and with magnification options I'd say it would be great.  I'd suggest 25mm, 12mm and 6mm as options to use with it. 

based on my 114mm f4 newt I'd be surprised if you manage good views above 100x. as a replacement for binoculars with more aperture on a steady ount and with magnification options I'd say it would be great.  I'd suggest 25mm, 12mm and 6mm as options to use with it.

Just going off a conversation I had on here with someone who has a home made 112mm F4.5 scope i was thinking it might manage 200x. However he did have some great mirrors in his, cant remember the name of them but I knew when he told me. 

Even so shane, at a shade under a 100 quid you couldnt go wrong for something to use as suggested mate

Nice idea, I think that having something to snatch at short opportunities is a good plan. My own solution for 30 minute backyard observing, has been to recently invest in a monopod / trigger grip head. A  five section  model, so high enough to permit standing, quicker to set up and more mobile / better ergonomics than was my tripod, used with my 15x70's. 

The base will not come apart easily. You'll have to disassemble the Az base to access the screws holding the Alt upright from underneath. If it's made of the same soft rubbish as my FlexTube 300p was, you would then have to be careful not to strip the threads tapped in the Alt upright and to be honest, that would happen if you repeat the operation a few times anyway.

For quicky/travel sessions, you might be better of buying an ST80 Table Top. I bought an ST80 as a guide scope once and was genuinely surprized how good it was, as long as you didn't push the magnifiction too hard. The Quid pro quo is that you're trading F4 coma, for F5 chromatic aberration, but even that wasn't that bad and the Table Top EQ1 does pack down really small. 

Russell

In all honesty I struggled to get to 100x (tv zoom at 5mm) on Jupiter. it's pretty good at what it's designed for (low power wide field views) and for those I used a 25mm tv plossl, 15mm TV plossl and a 10mm Radian. the SW may of course be better than my Konus.

Received this after an enquiry to our sponsor (Thanks FLO) so it looks simple to disassemble and construction looks pretty good. Remove the cap with the 3 screws, then take off the nut to seperate the top from bottom. Then you can access the 3 screws to remove the side and hey presto, your in business. Into the suitcase it goes.

I know what your saying russell about the base but i think if you are carefull not to over tighten (no need to with such a lightweight ota), you should be ok. I am only intend carrying out this operation for taking it abroad so not like its every month even (if only).

Re; the ST80. I have looked at these before and was not a fan tbh, the CA I experienced from the one I tried was pretty bad and I think I can put up with the coma better (personal thing)

Having had a think about it the magnification is less important than the portability. Many DSO's are viewed at a fairly lowish magnification anyway and as stated when this was first introduced on here by FLO, this is a potentially better starter place than bins. SO for me to be able to take this away easily rather than my 10x50's would be a great improvement on results.

post-26735-0-05076800-1393304651_thumb.j

post-26735-0-31722000-1393304661_thumb.j

post-26735-0-45618300-1393304677_thumb.j

post-26735-0-10425900-1393304683_thumb.j

post-26735-0-68464500-1393304782_thumb.j

Archived