SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Should Pluto be a Planet or be a Dwarf Planet

DommyDevil18

Pluto's a planet - that's what they told me at school and that's what I believe to this day. Ceres is a moon so doesn't even qualify for planet status whatever size it is.

It's like there should be 240 pence in a £1. They should never have gone decimal making 1 new penny worth 2.4 old pence. It doubled the price of the bag of sherbert lemons I used to eat on my way to school - and halved the value of my paper round takings - overnight!. Oddly enough that happened at around the time they told me about Pluto lol. :)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in the it is not a planet camp.

Because it s too small,its smaller than the moon for goodness sake, has a weird orbit compared to the rest of the "Planets"

I prefer the Trans Neptunian Object  or TNO classification, and Ceres classed as an asteroid rather than a minor planet to remove any confusion.

and most of all all because it winds certain people up :grin: :grin:

Fair play it was some feat of observation to discover it .

Steve

Would those who advocate Pluto being considered a planet also advocate Ceres still being considered as a planet?

Err,

forgive me if I missed something (big thread, late at night, my braincell is small ) but Ceres  _"still"_  ?? no one said it ever was shirly ??

twas always an asteroid (minor planet in today speak) never a planet.

Pluto was never an asteroid.

Pluto isnt "being considered a planet" it is (or was, seems like the argument is lost,) being considered a non-planet

Pluto was a planet, yer canna rewrite history as we know it Scotty.

Steve > "and most of all all because it winds certain people up"

:) :) :)

I like the spirit of Ron's point about Tombaugh. He was a dedicated guy and rather scorned by Hubble, officially because he didn't have a professional's academic background but more likely because Hubble liked being the astronomer in the limelight.

Olly

I feel it doesn't really matter. As long as we're consistent with categorising then the category is irrelevant! To me it's like arguing is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit! <br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPhone using <a class='bbc_url' href='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1'>Tapatalk</a>

A digression but not entirely irrelevant. I'm told by a neurobilologist friend (well known in astronomy too) that there is a recognized syndrome in which the patient is unable to describe fruit.

(I'm not making this up.) Carrots and peas, no problem. Apples, no. So what about tomatoes? He didn't know but we all guessed that it would depend on whether the patient considered it a fruit or a vegetable.

Is there a syndrome amongst astronomers preventing them from descibing planets?  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Olly

A digression but not entirely irrelevant. I'm told by a neurobilologist friend (well known in astronomy too) that there is a recognized syndrome in which the patient is unable to describe fruit.

(I'm not making this up.) Carrots and peas, no problem. Apples, no. So what about tomatoes? He didn't know but we all guessed that it would depend on whether the patient considered it a fruit or a vegetable.

Is there a syndrome amongst astronomers preventing them from descibing planets? :grin::grin::grin:

Olly

No that's is incredibly interesting! What I find interesting is the brain is not bound by logic or influence of man made constraint... You can say to the patient the tomato is in the fruit category. you can tell them if they have this syndrome they shouldn't be able to describe a tomato, however if the person and consequently the brain has categorised it as veg, the deed is done! Love the brain... Sometimes :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't have problem with either 'Plutoid',  'Planetoid' or 'minor planet', or even 'dwarf planet'.  It's all semantics at the end of the day - as long as there is consensus.  

Scientific disciplines (and their advocates, professional or amateur)  should not be afraid to challenge themselves and established tradition - for example, the taxonomical world was turned upside down with the event of DNA testing, whole genera of flora had to be reclassified.

Ooo I think you just swore!! Astrology should be a banned word here... Or just simply banned altogether! (Apologies for the strong opinion) ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strong opinions are a characteristic trait of a typical Leo  :evil:  :grin:

Ceres was a classified as a planet when it was first discovered.

Ah yes, you have me there, that was a bit before my time ! :)

I was lax in my meaning last night, what I meant was that in the context of the search for the 10th planet, and the pertubations of Neptune, and of the time, etc. Ceres was not a planet. iyswim.

Which reminds me, my history is poor, help me out here - at the time of Pluto discovery was it not recognised that it was not sufficient to be the cause of the pertubations? Did they (he) continue the search ? Were those pertubations real or mathematical quirks/mistakes ?

If they were real have they been accounted for since or is Planet 10* still out there ?

etc.

a characteristic trait of a typical Leo
I am a Leo... That's just creepy

Arrrgghh ! That you should even know these things ! heheee

I think this thread now needs a person with a long 'ooter, loud bell and red flag to preceed it shouting "unclean unclean"

I was born in an october, and no I dont know and am not interested LOL!

EDIT * or Planet 9 as the case may be !!

<br />

Arrrgghh ! That you should even know these things ! heheee<br />

I think this thread now needs a person with a long 'ooter, loud bell and red flag to preceed it shouting "unclean unclean"<br />

I was born in an october, and no I dont know and am not interested LOL!<br />

<br />

It's true I should be ashamed of myself! :D my gran told me I was when I was a kid and it stuck :) <br />

Someone once told me 'astronomy to the selfish becomes astrology' I happen to agree ;) <br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPhone using <a class='bbc_url' href='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1'>Tapatalk</a>

Ah yes, you have me there, that was a bit before my time ! :)

I was lax in my meaning last night, what I meant was that in the context of the search for the 10th planet, and the pertubations of Neptune, and of the time, etc. Ceres was not a planet. iyswim.

Which reminds me, my history is poor, help me out here - at the time of Pluto discovery was it not recognised that it was not sufficient to be the cause of the pertubations? Did they (he) continue the search ? Were those pertubations real or mathematical quirks/mistakes ?

If they were real have they been accounted for since or is Planet 10* still out there ?

etc.

Do not worry about the history this site will help you out sure :) As for Pluto and Ceres they are both Dwarf Planets because they both orbit the sun and they are round but their orbits are not cleared because Ceres and Pluto are in the Asteroid and Kuiper Belts respectively :)

Archived