Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage 100p

FLO

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How convenient that this comes out as I am looking to buy my first scope. I was looking at the celestron 114 or 130 eq but looking at people's response to this I am thinking his is better bang for your buck right?

As a complete novice could anyone recommend any additional accessories and eye pieces I should get to get the most out of this scope. Bear in mind I know nothing so please be detailed in your response to help me find exactly what I need. I am also thinking of maybe buying a Celestron Neximage 5 Colour for some astrophotography a little further down the line as I get better at this stuff. Would this be compatible and a good choice of camera for this scope?

I am realistic about my expectations at this price/level and would desperately like to be able to see saturns rings and the bands and moons of Jupiter. Is this realistic? And what else should I be hoping for?

Thanks guys.

Hi kid robot and welcome to sgl. First off this scope is nit suitable for astrophotography end of.

However for the price it is, it is perfect for getting you started, you will see Saturns rings and jupiters bands and moons also.

but my thoughts are start with this and do not buy anything else until you find your feet. Trust when I say this and others will back me up when I say, there will be plenty of time to spend your money later.

If you wanted more from the scope however, a reasonable eyepiece in the 5mm side would be a usefull adfition to this scope.

Steve

Hi kid robot and welcome to sgl. First off this scope is nit suitable for astrophotography end of.

However for the price it is, it is perfect for getting you started, you will see Saturns rings and jupiters bands and moons also.

but my thoughts are start with this and do not buy anything else until you find your feet. Trust when I say this and others will back me up when I say, there will be plenty of time to spend your money later.

If you wanted more from the scope however, a reasonable eyepiece in the 5mm side would be a usefull adfition to this scope.

ditto  :smile:

We have been planning to make some short videos and thought this new telescope would be perfect for our first attempt. Please be gentle, nobody at FLO has any video production experience and it is literally our very first video. A big thank-you to Grant (our IT Wizard) for being brave enough to have a go  :icon_king:

Steve

Thanks for that Steve it answers my question regarding it being collimatable or not?. It would be good to see how well collimated these are considering they are fixed and at f/4. Any chance of defocusing one of these on a star to see how concentric the doughnut is Steve?

Chris

Question. Is the base ready assembled and can it be broken down to be made transportable in a suitcase? Great vid though steve, looks a belting little scope and would be ideal ad a grab n go. Especially given the weather we have had recently.

10 minute cool down!

Thanks for that Steve it answers my question regarding it being collimatable or not?. It would be good to see how well collimated these are considering they are fixed and at f/4. Any chance of defocusing one of these on a star to see how concentric the doughnut is Steve?

Chris

chris, I have seen one like this before wherre the end cap came off! Can you check that pleasse steve?

We have been planning to make some short videos and thought this new telescope would be perfect for our first attempt. Please be gentle, nobody at FLO has any video production experience and it is literally our very first video. A big thank-you to Grant (our IT Wizard) for being brave enough to have a go  :icon_king:

Steve

There is one important feature about this scope you forgot to show in your video.  On the bottom of the mount, there is a 3/8-16 UNC thread, allowing you to attach a sturdy heavy-duty camera tripod to this scope.  It also has a removable 1/4-20 UNC adapter to attach a standard size tripod on it as well.   This is possible because the scope is so portable and lightweight.  I use a sturdy Manfrotto mount with this scope. 

post-19733-0-90716700-1358996094_thumb.jpost-19733-0-44922800-1358998346_thumb.j

I have owned this scope for almost 4 years now.  In the U.S., it is marked by Orion Telescopes and Binoculars as the Orion SkyScanner.   

Question. Is the base ready assembled and can it be broken down to be made transportable in a suitcase? Great vid though steve, looks a belting little scope and would be ideal ad a grab n go. Especially given the weather we have had recently.

10 minute cool down!

The scope is small and portable enough to fit in a medium sized backpack without having to be broken down.

post-32401-133877733959_thumb.jpg

Chris

The primary mirror is not collimatable (glued to the rear assembly), but there is a way to align the primary and secondary mirrors.  Unscrew the rear assembly holding the primary mirror, center spot the primary (dot the center with a marker, then put a notebook reinforcement ring around the dot), then rescrew the rear assembly back onto the OTA.  Then looking through a collimation cap attached to the focuser, fiddle with the three Allen-head screws on the secondary holder which adjusts the tilt of the secondary mirror (the secondary is collimatable), until you get the secondary aligned with the primary. 

My scope was miscollimated before I performed this operation.  Once done, the scope became a good planetary and double star performer for a fast F/4 instrument.  But with it's generous 100mm aperture for such a lightweight and compact scope, this makes a good deep-sky grab-and-go.   All the Messier objects are easily visible if you take this scope away from the city and into suburban (orange zone) or rural (green-blue zone) skies.     

Thanks Nebula. Looking at how this can be mounted to a tripod has made me want it even more...

I was wondering how with would compare against the Skywatcher Explorer 130 as I have found it going for £100 at Jessops and at the same price as the Heritage 100p offers higher magnification up to 180x with the optics supplied. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Thanks Nebula. Looking at how this can be mounted to a tripod has made me want it even more...

I was wondering how with would compare against the Skywatcher Explorer 130 as I have found it going for £100 at Jessops and at the same price as the Heritage 100p offers higher magnification up to 180x with the optics supplied. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I would get the Explorer 130 - 30mm more light gathering power, EQ2 tripod included.  Even though it uses a spherical mirror, the F/6.9 focal ratio (long tube design) should still produce good views. 

The only reason to get the Heritage 100p over the Explorer 130 would be for portability reasons as a grab-and-go scope.   It's a fast F/4.0 scope, so it uses a parabolic mirror.      

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, first post for me, great forum!

Any more feedback on this scope? Looks perfect for my first starter scope, portable, compatable with my photog tripod & a reasonable 4".

Archived