Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help please. Need advise on taking pictures of orion nebula

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee don't know where i would be if you wasn't here and that goes to others to. To many to name so thank you all for all your time and advise the last month or two

Your more than welcome mate :)

I'm only at the level I'm at now thanks to the help I received on here so just passing it on.

Andy I've heard of a few people using home made masks and I believe the results are pretty much the same so yep give it a go!

I also need t learn how to take flats as I suffer with bad vignetting too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay here are all 3 incarnations. I'm slowly but surely learning dss and photoshop. The redish one, is my first attempt. The rather pink one with large bloatish stars is my second attempt, and my third attempt I really feel I managed the bring out the detail and colour. But may have over done it on dimming and reducing the stars. All comments welcome. Thanks. :)

Excellent mate much better than my first attempts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post-33489-0-58407700-1395472996.png

This was my very first attempt ever, just a couple nights ago.

Not great the weather was getting worst so I grabbed what I could and got the "astro-camp" back into the garage.

This is not a stacked but a single frame image.

I was just about to wrap up the night when I pointed the scope at the nebula just to further align the finder scope.

I looked in the eyepiece and saw the faint fuzzy,

SO I got the camera, t-adapter, etc all back out and clicked away.

tried a couple fast shots at different settings while the wind was vibrating the scope pretty good.

this was a 30 sec exp at 3200 I just wanted to gather as much light as I could and see what happened.

This was captured through a canon 1100D and with APT.

Great feeling capturing a DSO for the first time. Only a just 2-3 weeks ago I did the same. It's such a rush seeing it appear on the camera live view. Well done!

Nice round stars... Now you just need to start taking lots of frames and stack and process. Have fun! :)

Bored with weather so managed to successfully use layer mask in Photoshop for first time love this technique, I now know how to layer core subs.  Have now received a LP filter from FLO so will start using that soon when there's clear skies.

post-32706-0-78352700-1396218258_thumb.p

With my mind on long term investment of getting the best value and a filter that should hold it's value and great reviews, I've flexed the plastic on a Hutech IDAS LPS D1. A lot of money.. Future proof myself I hope. :) just need to try it out now! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

Well after a few months of really bad skies and not having a clear night for along time i took my telescope out for the first time in months :) it felt good and cold but worth it. Took some great pictures of the moon but came across a problem maybe someone could help me.

I hope everyone had a great christmas :) and thank you in advance :)

• 2 months later...

Hi there I have read the post in reply to you so here is my bit. I bought a Canon 600d camera, a skywatch eq3-2mount and an Explore Scientific 80mm scope, I already have a Mak synscan 127mm. I got the ES as I'm told the smaller aperture is better, depending on what you want to photograph. I have yet to produce a half decent pic as I'm very much still learning. The software I have is Deep Sky Stacker and Photoshop 7. You need to set aside an amount of money as there is always something you may need.

• 1 year later...

Hi all. Its been a while, nearly 3 years not sure how many people are following this so heres a quick update. I couldn't achieve focus with my Skywatcher 150PL and and the mount was terrible, but great for me at the start but i really wanted to get into AP. So I took abit of a break but still used my telescope for visual on clear nights but the AP itch wouldn't go away. Did alot of research, saved up some money and jumped into. Got myself a Skywatcher 200P with a Celestron advance GT mount for a great man in Hull. Had the telescope a few weeks and the brilliant British weather stayed cloudy. This picture was my 2nd attempt at AP with abit of editing in PS. Still a long way to go and its just begun. Thank you for all your great advise so long ago. 

Orion 2016-5.png

6 hours ago, adavies8900 said:

Hi all. Its been a while, nearly 3 years not sure how many people are following this so heres a quick update. I couldn't achieve focus with my Skywatcher 150PL and and the mount was terrible, but great for me at the start but i really wanted to get into AP. So I took abit of a break but still used my telescope for visual on clear nights but the AP itch wouldn't go away. Did alot of research, saved up some money and jumped into. Got myself a Skywatcher 200P with a Celestron advance GT mount for a great man in Hull. Had the telescope a few weeks and the brilliant British weather stayed cloudy. This picture was my 2nd attempt at AP with abit of editing in PS. Still a long way to go and its just begun. Thank you for all your great advise so long ago. 

Orion 2016-5.png

Reminds me of my first image although I think you kept your stars rounder. Nice start. :)

• 11 months later...

I'm not all that good at astrophotograpy and I've only just started but I just finished photographing the Orion nebula and it would be great if I could get some feedback on what and what not to do. I own a canon 1300D. I took 10 photos at 10 seconds each and used an iso of 800. I used deepskystacker to stack them and this is what I got. 

5a434fc707476_TheOrionNebula.thumb.jpg.01b808d3e4a3332852f5d99299d54375.jpg

Archived