NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help please. Need advise on taking pictures of orion nebula

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got 50x 30second subs to work with. Not sure my DSS and PS skills are there yet. Got 50 bias, and 20 darks.

ISO was 1600. Canon 1100d. My TIFF was 50.5mb, so just over the limit to upload here, so saved as jpg just for this forum.

Very nice mate :)  You got the running man too!

The difference sticking a few little motors in your mount makes is crazy!

If possible id try and shoot a lot more darks next time tho as i used to only take a few and more is definately better.

Good first effort! Lots more good stuff to come I feel from you. I'm barely getting going myself, you will learn a lot here. There is a little star trail there so look at the balance, level, and gear slack. Watch some photoshop tutorials too on gradient removal and curves. Good stuff! 

Took some pictures tonight first time with my motor :) this is one single shot not stacked or anything. Need a tutorial for that :) still alot of learning but getting some nice results :)

It's getting there, but there is still a lot of movement in the image, which as it's not linear (ie the trails are curved) suggests it's camera / scope movement that's causing it, possibly through the shutter release cable.  I can't remember what camera you are using, but if it's a Canon 450D upwards it can be controlled via USB and some software such as Backyard EOS or APT.  This will also allow you to set up batch settings to take repeated exposures and then you can load them into DSS and stack them.

I got the nikon D3200 but backyardEOS doesn't work with it but i have got something i could use but the USB isn't long enough so going to go into town and get a longer on :) need to find a tutorial for DSS looks really confusing. Thank you for your advise. Will be trying it out :)

Lee,

Was hazy last night and orion very low made conditions terrible. Amazed I got what I got.

Adavies890: yes this is with no barlow and cropped.

abu5unep.jpg200p skywatcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stunning lunar shot mate!

Is that a single exposure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it is a single shot. I can look at raw info later to give settings. This is the original... I cropped a section in Photoshop and adjusted colour and sharpened following a technique I followed online.

equne3ug.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening all. Hope you are having a good start to the week. I am having some problems and im not sure why. I think it might be the focus. This is the picture converted to JPG. Looks a lot better in RAW. Any advise :)

post-35201-0-78001200-1395179656_thumb.j

I'm wondering if your camera is suited to long exposure imaging.  I've reposed a single 30 second 800 ISO image taken through my f5 scope to compare, and I would of expect that with your camera set to 1600 ISO that would of compensated for the fact your scope is an f8, and you should of picked up some nebulosity, especially if stacking several images.

post-10726-0-35338100-1392580037.jpg

Whilst the stars my end up elongated, try some bracketed exposures, 30s, 45s, 60s 120s etc  to see what length of exposure you need before detail of the nebula is captured by the camera.  Then it's just  a matter of polar aligning and engaging the RA drive to correct any drifting and you should be on a roll.

OK so without a manual shutter release you can auto expose for 30 seconds, which was why I'm suggesting that you should be able to get something like the image I posted which was of similar exposure all be it at a slower ISO.

Can you zip up a couple of your RAW files and attach them to a post, or make them available via dropbox so we can have a go at processing them for you.  This would rule out a processing issue or a camera issue

Archived